netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Shussebora Netsuke

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
Thomas1

Shussebora Netsuke

Postby Thomas1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi
I have recently acquired this Netsuke depicting the legend of Shussebora (出世螺) or Sea Snail Dragon, a giant trident conch that studied in the sea, mountains and town for 3000 years then was promoted to a Dragon. In this Netsuke, he is in the process of changing into a dragon along with gaining a pearl of wisdom or Tama.
So do you think this is unusual netsuke subject?
Also, I would like to ask for your thoughts on the carver school and/or region.
Thanks!
Tom
Attachments
IMG_2094.JPG
IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_2106.JPG
IMG_2111.JPG
IMG_2113.JPG
IMG_2115.JPG
IMG_2117.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG

Tama

Re: Shussebora Netsuke

Postby Tama » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:26 am

It's lovely Tom.
Last edited by Tama on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:35 am

Fascinating karmic story and subject matter of an honest triton shell eventually metamorphosing into a dragon.
Last edited by chonchon on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

Thomas1

Postby Thomas1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks Piers! I love that his Tama is in the swirling transformation cloud

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Tom, have you searched books and auctions for other examples of this subject? I'd say it is rather uncommon and a nice piece.
Alan

Tama

Postby Tama » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:25 pm

And the Tama loves you too Tom!!!

mss

Postby mss » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:09 pm

Tom, very unusual subject. Can't remember ever seeing a similar netsuke, although wonder whether some conch pieces may allude to the story. For interest, found this information on shussebora (internet search):

Shussebora: TRANSLATION: promoted giant triton
HABITAT: migrates from mountains, to valleys, and finally to seas.
APPEARANCE: Like many animals, giant tritons (Charonia tritonis)—a kind of sea snail similar to a conch—can turn into yōkai after living for a very long time. When a giant triton reaches an age of several thousand years old, it turns into a draconic creature called a shussebora.
BEHAVIOR: Long ago, it was believed that giant tritons lived deep in the mountains. They spend their lives buried under the earth. They grow larger and larger, until after three thousand years they descend from the mountains into the valleys during landslides. They spend three thousand more years living near human villages, until they finally burrow into the sea. After three thousand more years underwater, they transform into a mizuchi—a kind of sea dragon.
INTERACTIONS: Because they spend their years buried in the earth or deep in the sea, shussebora very rarely ever interact with people. However, the caves they leave behind during their migrations serve as a testament to their existence. All over Japan, after landslides people have discovered large caves which shussebora were thought to have lived in. These discoveries were even documented in newspapers during the Meiji period.
The flesh of a shussebora was said to bring very long life to anyone who eats it. However, as there is no documented evidence of this, and nobody who has actually eaten a shussebora has come forth, this is thought to be just rumor.
ORIGIN: Because of the ambiguous nature of these creatures—the rumors about their life-giving meat, and the lack of any evidence other the caves they allegedly lived in—the phrase “hora wo fuku” (“to blow a conch shell”), meaning “to brag,” is said to have originated from this yōkai.

(Yokai: ghost, phantom, strange apparition) are a class of supernatural monsters in Japanese folklore.)

Thomas1

Postby Thomas1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks Alan! No I will look through my auction catalogs this weekend.

Thanks mms for the info!

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi Tom,

I found a similar example in one of my catalogues.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender[1].jpg

I will keep looking to see if I find any more.

Kind regards
Rob

Thomas1

Postby Thomas1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:47 am

OMG Rob!!!! It's almost the same one with his mouth open.
Thank you!

Return to “Collector's Gallery”