netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Manju - karako with drum

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
chonchon

Re: Manju - karako with drum

Postby chonchon » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:31 am

Great discovery, Alex and very similar indeed. Edo and Kyoto/Osaka were the two hubs of civilization at either end of the Tokaido, both places where precious ivory could be obtained for carving. It would be entirely natural for communication to have taken place, as with swordsmiths who would be apprentices in one place and travel the country before settling down somewhere to ply their trade.
The backs are not ‘attributed’ to Hojitsu by the way. They are said to carry the signature 法貫
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:17 am

Hi Alex,

For me the two manju you posted are Tokyo work, rather than Osaka. They are much closer to Hojitsu than Dosho. That being said the second MCI example you posted looks much more Osaka. Perhaps some sort of evidence for a move and change in styles? The MCI examples, his earlier Dosho influenced work, yours later Tokyo influenced work?

A few artists are recorded as moving between Osaka and Tokyo. As Piers has already written, the famous route was called the Tōkaidō road ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tōkaidō_(road) )

Even in late 18th the Soken Kisho records Tomotada's name as already being well know in Tokyo.

Mainly, it was merchants who regularly used this route. Merchants also the predominant purchasers of netsuke, and no doubt, spreading the fame of carvers. I like to think of the merchants as netsuke's early advertising campaigners :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:34 am

A link to the members historical area, another manju by a pupil of Hojitsu - viewtopic.php?p=48381#p48381
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Thank you, Piers and Martyn for the nice and helpful comments !

Having looked in my books at more manjus by Dosho and Hojitsu, I agree with you, Martyn. In fact these two Kishosai manjus are actually copies of the Hojitsu ones, with very few changes. I would not call them only 'close to' ;).

I do like their deep carving, and the facial expressions of the karakos.
Alex

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:12 pm

Operafan wrote:I do like their deep carving, and the facial expressions of the karakos.

Dosho didn't go so deep :lol:
Last edited by souldeep on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Collector's Gallery”