netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Favourite finds of 2016

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
AFNetsuke

Re: Favourite finds of 2016

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:19 am

Alex, it is a charming piece and unusual as well with a very attractive signature.
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:08 am

The puzzling thing for me is that drums do not ordinarily have hinged handles. (Not that this detracts in any way from such a sweet Netsuke.)

I can only think of two possible answers.
Piers

Size is something.

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:44 pm

I think that you are right, Piers, it is certainly not a typical Japanese taiko drum. As you might have noticed in the MCI card which I posted, great Frederick also thought that it was 'more probably a gong'. To be honest, I have not seen such a gong, during my trips in Japan, but I might be wrong about it.

More importantly, I like the subtle irony in the piece: the little chap trying to perform the 'mission impossible' of lifting himself together with the drum, gong, or whatever it is, while sitting on it ;) .

As a fringe benefit, I attach here a link to a 'taster' of the performance of the Yamato Drummers, whom I was fortunate to see twice live. Perhaps our little drummers will join them when they grow up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Pgxu4M6io

By the way, I am aware that this post belongs more to the Karako playing toy drum thread, but posted it here, as a reply to you, Piers.
Alex

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:25 pm

What a STUNNER, Steve!
Loving the black, gold, purple interplay . . .

After a tough, crowded busy week full of most of my immediate family's illnesses; my dog's very serious illness (we almost lost her last Wed. afternoon - she ate something toxic, and I came home to find her foaming at the mouth before rushing her to emergency care); my own sore low back issues, finally remedied by a major prednisone 6-day blast after a month of not being able to sleep through the night, I returned to see the growth and development of this wonderful thread this Sunday morning, and I want to commend all who conceived of this thread, contributed to it, and added postings to this collection - this Best Finds of 2016 impromptu Exhibition really truly cheered me up, like few other things I can imagine.

We ought to specially designate a thread like this one, and make this an annual year-end topic.
What a collection these would make - what an exhibition!
Thanks all!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:51 pm

szwang wrote:I want to share this cute rat on chestnut netsuke, lot 2326 from Van Ham. Haven't received it yet but still...sz

Szwang
I am pleased to share this mouse "friend" of yours but in ivory ...
Signed (or inscribed) Kano Tomokazu but in accordance with my Motto signature is not my obsession
Attachments
LUB Coll. Rat & Nut Kano Tomokazu.jpg
Tomokazu Rat LUB Collection.jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

szwang

Postby szwang » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Wow, Lub you really surprise me every time you post something from your collection, I still remember the first time I saw your Kangyoku zodiac in Hornbill. But honestly I've never seen a rat in this style of gifu and Nagoya. I have an ivory tanuki bearing this similar "tomokazu", but the staining and the general work is not as fine as yours.

What a lovely piece! Thanks for sharing!

sz

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:54 pm

dear sz

Tks for your appreciation... but normaly I don't like to make comparisons, each netsuke is different and unique, born in different moments in the Carver life, and with different sentiments, this is the miracle of this small jewels... by the way observing your increasing collection for me, passionate of this art, is a gift...consequently Thks to you as well to share with us...
From my iPhone
Last edited by LUBlub on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

pjburton

Postby pjburton » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:29 am

I’m a little late joining this party but thought I would share my favourite find courtesy of Neil Holton.
This Masanao Studio Ox won’t be everybody’s cup of tea due to the trade mark Tomotada signature but nevertheless for me was a significant purchase and one of the best Ox netsuke I’ve seen so I was very happy to give him a home in my collection.
Tomotada Ox 11.jpg
Tomotada Ox 2.jpg
Tomotada Ox 3.jpg
Tomotada Ox 7.jpg
Peter

Tama

Postby Tama » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:11 pm

PJ~ I would happily welcome your ox into my collection! A nicely rendered oxen all around. Congratulations, excellent find!

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Another great Neil's find and attribution! Congrats, PJ! An exelent addition to your collection! Actually two, as you have a great work of the Masanao studio and a great Tomotada signature in one piece! You just have to treat them separately, that's all. :D
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

Return to “Collector's Gallery”