netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Favourite finds of 2016

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
AFNetsuke

Re: Favourite finds of 2016

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:15 pm

I have a similar ox which could be by the same hand but horns of yours are different. Sold as circa 1800 but I think it is likely 100 years later than that. I've referred to mine as a tribute piece rather than school piece. They are beautifully carved though.
Alan

pjburton

Postby pjburton » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks everyone for all of your feedback, Alan with regards to dating this piece it certainly has the wear and patina to the underside that makes it intuitively feel like a pre-1800 carving but this doesn't really show in the photographs.
Peter

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Mine is in storage unfortunately at the moment. I simply can't be certain about the dating of mine but prefer to err on the side of newer. If/when accurate dating techniques evolve we may both be surprised.
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:20 pm

PJB, that is a well-carved example of this popular subject - one we would all be proud to have added to our collections during 2016!

Enjoy it!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:09 pm

In the thread with the TOPIC PIPECASES
I posted a Taishin pipecase with the design of Oku No Hosomichi. I do not want to mix up pipecases with inro. Searching an inro thread I found this one to continue with another example of the discussed motif in another art form.

On this inro we have of course the oizuru, the vine leaves and on the reverse the walking stick and the large hat of the unseen priest or wanderer/traveler. This inro had been my first contact leading to Basho's poems in Oku No Hosomichi,

Reinhard
Attachments
039.0.JPG
039.1.JPG

Return to “Collector's Gallery”