netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Boys and girls

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
Tama

Re: Boys and girls

Postby Tama » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:47 pm

A very similar model of Judy's porcelain is in the Hirado Prince of Porcelain book.

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:53 pm

xxx
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:32 am

Thank you Dave! it is the most beautiful porcelain netsuke I have ever seen, the glazes placed exactly with no spill overs, and the hand tooling is exquisite. I am so happy to own it. It has provenance- was from a lady collectors collection in Europe--can't remember her name for the life of me right now... I hope to get the inro that was originally with it as well- perhaps later this year.
Judy

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:39 am

Dave, here is an image of how the karako appears in the book Jill told you about. I have laid my karako on the page to illustrate the difference in the head position. It seems the heads were a different mold, and could be set in by the craftsperson in an angle of his choice. As you can see, my karako's head is tilted to the left and upward, and I particularly like his disposition. He seems to have a question in his eyes-- I picture him looking up at his mother and saying "I thought you said I could hold the mask if I was careful!"
But I make up stories!!! :lol: :lol:
Jan, the article answers your question as to the kiln-- I forgot that I had taken an image of this page, and it is on my computer. The book of course , I left at home! Sorry....
Attachments
IMG_2051.jpg
Judy

Nio

Postby Nio » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:50 am

A truly exquisite little masterpiece Judy, thank you for sharing.
Nio " I never learn anything from listening to myself "

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:51 am

xxx
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:52 am

The difference isn't just in the head positions, Judy (though I like yours better for that). The color variation between yours and the British Museum porcelain karako is interesting. Your little boy has a white collar button, and the eyebrows and mane on his shishi mask are glazed dark. It's wonderful how individualized these things can be, even when molds are involved. Yours is a fine one indeed.

Alison

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:55 am

But what a difference something as simple as changing the head position has made!
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:19 am

Thanks Guys. Yes I really love him. I wanted him the minute I saw him, but when I took him out of the box and held him for the first time, I felt like I was holding a treasure. So glad you think he is special too.
As Alison has said there are several differences in them. The colors in the shishi mask are really subtle and almost a washed away glaze that colors him just slightly. All the small detail strokes of color on his beard and head are so nicely handled. The coat the Karako wears is a really intense rich blue.
There had been some thought about these that the himotoshi were drilled later on several of them, but Mine, as one pictured elsewhere, you can see the glaze traveled inside the himotoshi, proving the the holes were placed in there in the green ware stage, and not later added.
Judy

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:57 am

My only other ceramic netsuke - anti climactic after the last one but cute just the same, is this karako, laying on his belly. Probably back then would be in this position as he played a game on the floor or with his puppy perhaps--nowadays this pose would put him sprawled in front of the television....a sad state of affairs boy!
A similar one from same mold in illustrated in Richard Silverman's book.
Attachments
DSC03236.jpg
DSC03234.jpg
DSC03235.jpg
DSC03233.jpg
DSC03232.jpg
Judy

Return to “Collector's Gallery”