netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Boys and girls

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
Operafan

Boys and girls

Postby Operafan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:39 am

For the benefit of those of us who keep blushing while browsing through the shunga thread, I decided to open a new, much more innocent thread - children in netsuke. All of them level 0 in the SHS scale :) .

I will post my seven favourites from my collection, hoping to see lots of nice ones soon after.

1. Kintoki (Kintaro) playing with a neko toy, while he holds a chrysanthemum branch over his shoulder, signed Ono Ryomin:

Kintaro 1.jpg
Kintaro 2.jpg
Kintaro 3.jpg

2. Boy playing bekkanko, hiding a Hyottoko mask, signed Shoko:

Bekkako with Hyottoko 1.jpg
Bekkako with Hyottoko 2.jpg
Bekkako with Hyottoko 3.jpg

3. Boy playing bekkanko, hiding an Okame mask, unsigned:

Bekkako with Okame 1.jpg
Bekkako with Okame 2.jpg
Bekkako with Okame 3.jpg
Alex

Operafan

Re: Boys and girls

Postby Operafan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:43 am

4. Baby boy with tub, signed Ryoji:

Boy with pot 1.jpg
Boy with pot 2.jpg
Boy with pot 3.jpg

5. Baby boy playing drum, signed Masataka:

Boy with drum 1.jpg
Boy with drum 2.jpg
Boy with drum 3.jpg
Alex

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:55 am

6. Crawling baby boy wearing an apron and holding Hyottoko mask, signed Ryomin (I have posted this netsuke on the old forum, in another context):

Boy with Hytttoko 1.jpg
Boy with Hyttoko 2.jpg
Boy with Hyottoko 3.jpg

7. Boy with a stick in his hand, trying to catch a two headed serpent crawling at his back, signed San-ko (the same netsuke is on page 694 in MCI):

MCI 1.jpg
MCI 2.jpg
Alex

Nio

Postby Nio » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:29 am

Number 6 the crawling baby is a special for me.

Here is a 20th century boy on a mogokoyo and a Yuki Darama with a couple of kids.
Yuki Daruma (snowman).JPG
Boy 1.JPG
Nio " I never learn anything from listening to myself "

KPR

Postby KPR » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:27 am

Shishimai: Two boys with drum and a real (!) Shishi.

1360-005.jpg
Klaus

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:49 pm

I Neglected to say how much I love the Karako netsuke--filled with innocence and mischief!
Alex thank you for starting this thread. Your Karako are charming and filled with Japanese expression.
Nio -your 20C polychrome piece is nicely done. I love the over exaggeration of the size of his feet and the disposition of the carving. Very cute.

Klaus, as usual I love your old 18C ivory with a real shishi! Thanks for sharing him.

I was so pleased to be able to add this karako to my collection. A 19c Hirado porcelain Karako holding Shishi mask with Tama inside its mouth. I think this is an exquisite porcelain netsuke with seemingly inlaid porcelain eyes (or at least deeply cut around them to provide the illusion of real eyes, hand tooled detail and glazes that are precisely placed...I love him. I hope you love him too...
Attachments
IMG_1994.jpg
IMG_1992.jpg
karako.jpg
Judy

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:01 pm

19C Karako playing with their puppy, using a shell tied to a rope as a toy. Signed Meigyoku (signature just now corrected by Kikue to Senri ). More an Okimono than netsuke, although attachment could be made between the boys, but it is a rather delicate area with not much ivory holding them together.
Attachments
DSC00628.jpg
DSC00627.jpg
DSC00624.jpg
Judy

kikue

Postby kikue » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:48 pm

jbjtennyo wrote:19C Karako playing with their puppy, using a shell tied to a rope as a toy. Signed Meigyoku. More an Okimono than netsuke, although attachment could be made between the boys, but it is a rather delicate area with not much ivory holding them together.

Hi Judy, the signature on your netsuke looks like Senri (千里) to me. It is not Meigyoku (明玉).

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:05 pm

Thank you for the correction, Kikue. There is a netsuke in LAZ that is signed in a similar fashion, and says it is Meigyoku--I trusted it at the time, but now know there are many mistakes in LAZ. I am happy to know the correct reading! Thank you.
Judy

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:43 pm

Another little drummer, just received today. A bit damaged, but still nice.

I actually thought that it was unsigned, only in the photo discovered the small signature at the edge of the garment. It is a bit too unclear for me to research in LAZ. Any chance, Kikue, that you could identify it ? Thank you !

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Alex

Return to “Collector's Gallery”