netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Boys and girls

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
Shugenja

Re: Boys and girls

Postby Shugenja » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:27 pm

Rather difficult to fault anyone for making a mistake reading seal script, but the seal signature actually reads "Shungetsu". You can find a facsimile in Vol. II, N&IA, pg. 998.

Chris
Attachments
SHUNGETSU.jpg

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:00 pm

Operafan wrote:Finally, with the kind help of Martyn, signature / attribution probably solved: the signature is Masayuki (of Asakusa) in script form:

Hi Alex. During our WhatsApp conversation, without library to refer to at this afternoons kids party, I was not perhaps being clear enough. I was referring to another Tokyo carver that goes by the name of Masayuki (the image of the wood version I sent you).

However, that being said, Chris is being very kind but I think he's nailed the translation. I don't think any of us like working out these stylised scripts :oops:

As I mentioned on WhatsApp, that Masayuki wood example, and yours, are from the circle of hands as guys like Homin, Tomonobu and Chogetsu.

I belive (by the carving style) that this is not the same Homin and Masayuki as the Asakusa guys. But, in this attribution world, its probably unwise to say never ;)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:26 pm

BTW.. Here's an example of the wood Masayuki from Tokyo, who I suspect worked with those other guys mentioned above.
29212-01.jpg
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:48 am

Chris - thank you ever so much for the information. Highly appreciated !

Martyn, apologies for my misunderstanding :(
Alex

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:30 pm

Martyn I can see a lot of similarity between the Shungetsu Boy and the Wood example you show by Masayuki. well spotted.

If I can add though, Homin and indeed Masayuki (2 artists, Hoshunsai & Kato) probably carved in the two styles (Asakusa and Tokyo figure type) just they represent what was popular at the time.

For instance, Tokoku during his early life made Asakusa ware objects, in fact if there is one artist that made consistently fine things in this genre, it is Tokoku. He and perhaps Rensai represent the consistently highest level of craft of any of the Asakusa ware artists. Then in his latter life, no doubt due to an artistic calling and the fact that the Tokyo Figure was becoming so popular to the home and abroad market, he embellishes these figures with multi materials creating almost a new brand of figure that today might be called Tokoku-esque. The idea of embellishing and merging materials together was experimented with during his Asakusa ware days, where he made ryusa and with amazing sensitivity added metal, stone and mother or pearl to name a few materials to emphasise aspects of the design. He would adopt this inlaying into his figure work later on. Then he also has a Kiseruzutsu stage, when he ordered blank zutsu of the most amazing material from suppliers in Tokyo and adding the finest of designs. Indeed the finest Musozutsu I have ever seen was decorated with Kannon (Asakusa Kannon Temple was Tokoku’s temple he worshipped) with the most marvellous description on the reverse detailing his own life.

Many artists during their career demonstrate styles or ways. The hand to mouth existence that our Netsuke-shi was subject to meant that what they made that week or month needed to sell, they were human after all with families to support.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 13.45.48.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 13.46.06.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 13.50.11.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 13.53.13.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 13.56.52.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 13.58.50.png

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:38 pm

Wow! Neil, that is super good information. Thank you!
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:06 pm

Thanks for all the insight and info, Neil. By the way, my personal favorite is the manju Dragon. Thanks!
Judy

Return to “Collector's Gallery”