netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Chon's Reflections

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
jbjtennyo

Re: Chon's Reflections

Postby jbjtennyo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:52 pm

Piers, that is a shame about the ox and also the shishi. I would tend to want to "rescue" them both, and see if they can be repaired. This ox is certainly worth it--what a beautiful carving and patina! Did you ask him if he has the broken leg? So sad! :(
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:31 pm

Tsuyama is famous for its beef. Perhaps he has eaten the leg... no, Judy, haha, I didn’t think to ask. But I tried to explain that in the West we would tend to repair, at no small personal expense. I warned him that there are many fakes around, but that his looks like a pretty good example. He seemed pleased.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:00 am

Coming at this from another angle, again!

Today I was at an antiques market and finally found a padlock for my Edo Period Ikkokubune sailing ship safe.

It is a wooden safe with metal reinforcements all over the front. The front locks shut, as too most of the internal drawers, with different sizes of keys. The safe I bought perhaps fifteen years ago, but as it had been jemmied open and was missing all of its keys, I had to have the front rebuilt and a set specially handmade by a locksmith with 'special' skills. And that was fine, and I was happy, except for a final padlock on the outside. There were two vertical tubes which needed a locking pin padlock of a certain length and thickness and for the life of me I could not find one that fitted. For this reason I have been using an iron needle all these years for the final 'lock', with a simple ring-pull on top.

So today I finally tried slotting the new arrival through, and locked this old cylinder padlock tight. Perfect fit! Problem sorted. 8-)

New problem. What to do with the key, in order not to lose it?

You got it! Fit a Netsuke on a string, not my best Netsuke, but a bulky one that will catch someone's attention. And thus I spent this afternoon oiling the lock for smooth operation, (making sure I can open it again!) and choosing a Netsuke to attach to it.

And thus do we discover the moral of the story: Netsuke attached to keys in the backs of old sets of drawers!
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:09 pm

You find the neatest things, Piers, and all the parts that fit together, making what you have whole again! Would love to see this if you want to share. Another use for netsuke - a keeper of the keys!
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:34 pm

The cylindrical padlock on the ship’s chest, for Judy.

E7FDA4C0-16C0-4EC0-9B65-A6DB4DD2FF8A.jpeg
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Neat old safe, Piers! Thanks for sharing your adventures into Japanese culture.
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:14 pm

And the key...
9B57507A-274B-4450-A18C-11AE3AF38E57.jpeg
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for sharing Piers- It looks like a huge key! is it or is it just the format of the image that makes it look so large? Neat items in that image that invite inspection! :)
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Judy, no, not perspective. You are right, it is the strangest key, with a large cloverleaf head. The slide is super long, and really clunky; it needs a hard shove to push the mechanism open and out, so I guess a broad head is gentler on the heel of the hand.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:26 am

Not having anything much to show on the interesting 'Best of 2017' thread, I confined myself there to commenting on the wonderful Netsuke that other members had found.

In the meantime I continued trawling the local markets, and then over Christmas made a run to Kyoto with my older daughter who was over for the vacation.

We tried to visit Sanjusangendo 三十三間堂 to see all the newly refurbished Buddhas in their splendid old hall, but at the 3:30 pm the gates clanged shut right in front of us. If only we hadn't walked the wrong way out of the subway exit...!

Over the road, however, the Kyoto National Museum was still open and welcoming visitors, so we dropped in to have a look around. It was some kind of classical exhibition, showing for example ancient Chinese sages painted on huge hanging scrolls, the kind of thing that might have been imported at vast cost from China by the old imperial family of Japan. And there were all our old favourites, the figures carved on our katabori Netsuke, like Gama Sen-nin with his three-legged toad familiar, etc., on those giant ancient screens on the walls.
Last edited by chonchon on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Collector's Gallery”