netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Chon's Reflections

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
chonchon

Re: Chon's Reflections

Postby chonchon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:49 am

We walked into a room full of bronze bells and gongs of all shapes and sizes, and there again were familiar themes for Netsuke. I saw a bronze gong that reminded me strongly of an inro that Neil Holton showed me last year in the basement of the good old Admiral Vernon in Portobello.

One room was dedicated to old scrolls and statues of dogs, 2018 next year being the Year of ... , and some of those little clay dogs even looked like Netsuke.

In one room were examples of lacquerwork from the middle ages, and there too on a bowl, and on a box, were the exact pattern of my latest black lacquer Tsuikoku Netsuke, described as 'Guri', or swirls/whorls. Suddenly I found that rather than just idly filling in the space/time we had allotted for Sanjusan-Gendo, I was actually getting some worthwhile eye-openers into Japanese culture.

The next day was Monday, Christmas Day and the market at Tenjin San (Kitano Tenmangu), and there I found a red lacquer Tsuishi example of my black Tsuikoku Netsuke with the same Guri patterns. Oh, if only I had had the courage to buy it, even at that price! I had the money in my pocket, but simply could not justify the purchase. I guess the dealer bought already above the price I might have considered... :sigh: :( Luckily I found another couple of bits that took away the sting.

And such continued to be the story on Tuesday as we toured my favourite Netsuke shop haunts. Either the shops were closed for the holidays, or the Netsuke on display in the ones that were open were not good enough, or were too expensive. The only consolation was the thought of all the money I had saved by not buying anything... :?

Still, in this, the last week of this year, I have so far bought four Netsuke, two Inro, and a handful of Ojime. 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

KPR

Postby KPR » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:57 am

Funny, during our last visit to Kyoto in September it was the other way around.
We wanted to visit the Kyoto National Museum, but it was closed for renovation.
We then went to the opposite Sanjusangendo temple.
A change that we do not regret. Really a highlight.
Klaus

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:09 am

Somewhere I was reading about Yatate brush holders and how the brush tube and the ink pot tended to be one solid entity, but that towards the middle (or end?) of Edo there was a fashion for the tube and the pot to be separate objects but strung together, i.e. with the pot hanging like a small inro.

Today I found one of these examples, unlike the bamboo and Negoro one I posted some time ago, in that this one is metal, all copper with a small brass fastener. The pot is shaped like a Kinchaku purse, extending the sagemono feeling. The string is leather and has an integral copper 'ojime' clasp on it. The pot opens to reveal two ink sources, one black and one red. The Sashi Netsuke tube opens to reveal an internal partition, for a brush on one side, and a paper knife down the other. Unusually, the little knife (they are often lost) was still in place, making just about a complete set.

Since I do not consciously collect Yatate I was going to give it a pass, but the little knife and the separate copper-purse shaped pot finally tipped the balance.
Last edited by chonchon on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:14 am

Here you can see the little brass slide for locking shut the ink pot ‘purse’.

Well, when Apple finally allows me to do this...

AF44BE1D-BCB3-46D0-AE1E-4FC651043EBA.jpeg

C2969F1B-9E43-4CE9-BDF5-516264F1EB9E.jpeg
Last edited by chonchon on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Maybe this should have been in the bits ‘n pieces thread but we’ve come this far so let’s see the overall shape. The brush holder is not large, imagine it holding a first aid thermometer.

D86B4A92-3C28-4135-839D-00F32D11BC36.jpeg

Then flip open the top...
01F64CF7-DC2A-4553-81D5-933204FB53DE.jpeg
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:56 pm

As to the companion ink wells, hinged to open in half...

C5625C01-1A9E-4EF0-9B25-A95786B6B549.jpeg

Open an inner lid for the red ‘Shuniku’ reservoir.

B380A68E-0554-4BEC-8D87-3B4B33A6A99A.jpeg
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Nice that you found a set with the paper knife included. And thanks for showing it. I don't think portable writing sets in the West ever achieved this kind of simplicity and were usually wood box/lapdesk types of affairs for the well to do.
Alan

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Love it, Piers ! Thanks for showing it :)
Alex

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:15 am

There is a pretty good explanation of yatate with illustrations here: http://www.stutler.cc/pens/yatate/

According to one source (Wiki) a yatate is still formally and symbolically passed round for collecting assenting seals of ruling party cabinet ministers.
内閣の閣議決定は閣僚の花押による署名を必要とするため、持ち回り閣議では閣僚の署名を集めるために現在も矢立が使われている。
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:52 am

Thank you, Piers. The Yatate article is quite good. Do you agree that the separate sumi tsubo being separate from the fudezutsu dates to the end of the Edo period and then disappears when the traditional yatate reappears? if so, why? I could see the separate ink pot being used for a while but maybe it turned out to not be such a good idea so disappeared.
Alan

Return to “Collector's Gallery”