netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Chon's Reflections

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
chonchon

Re: Chon's Reflections

Postby chonchon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Judy, that would surely be better than a trembling hand! I'll give it a go! :x
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:18 pm

I think the gold line enhanced an otherwise plain piece. And agree with Judy on the straightening of the line/stripe...unless you want to add a few leaves and turn it into a whisp of bamboo to complement the pin.
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:34 pm

That's a great idea, Alan..
Judy

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:28 am

What if you cover the whole donut with gold? If you can’t go against them, just join them :lust: :lust: :lust: :lust: :lust: :lust: :lust: :lust:
Last edited by carlomagno on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec spe nec metu

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:38 am

Many good ideas here. Leaves would require a level of artistry in order not to look cheap, though, and I am not sure I have that. Gold all over would be a little, er, OTT bling!!! :D The tape idea seemed good, but then I realized that the stripe would have sheer cut sides, whereas Kintsugi has a kind of melted and hardened lava, more natural edge to it. Back to the drawing board. 8-)

For the time being I have used a cutter knife to remove the curves and blobs in the spidery line. It looks pretty darn straight right now. :P
Piers

Size is something.

Clive

Postby Clive » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:12 am

Hi Piers,

Some tips that I think might be of assistance.

First.. you're never going to get a nice looking line unless the surface you're painting the urushi on is perfectly flat.. the crack filled in absolutely level with the surrounding surface. I don't know what you're using as a filler but Milliput would be an excellent product to use in this instance.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/263037388208?c ... 463&crdt=0

- You might consider acquiring the range of those colours as one can mix them to obtain a wide range to match all manner of restoration jobs.

Secondly.. what urushi are you using.. is it coloured? If very difficult to paint a nice looking line if you can't see the urushi very well. if its just a raw urushi adding a little red or even white pigment will greatly help you see what you're doing.

and thirdly.. what brush are you using? ..a long haired rigger type brush will make drawing a nice line a lot easier.

:)

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:37 am

Hi Clive, I thought you might pop by. :x Many thanks for your suggestions and the link to milliput. I may need to start all over again. I used a wood filler, but perhaps because I did not mound it enough, it refused to dry flat. The wood torus has not only split but twisted very slightly so one side of the Grand Canyon is higher than the other. This is why I thought a mountain of Kintsugi would hide the difference in levels. I am using a clear lacquer with two colours of 'gold' dust, yellow and red, although I do have clear cashew urushi at hand (not good for my lungs). The long-haired rigger brush sounds good; mine is not long and pointed enough. There is an artist's shop in town.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:47 am

Tomotada popped up again on the site today, so I thought I might share an ox which wandered past the other day.

The owner has a tea shop in Tsuyama City and I once gave him a Chasen tea whisk Netsuke as a small token of thanks for all his help over the years. A couple of weeks ago he produced two photographs from his pocket of an ox he has owned for some years, sadly damaged, and asked me for my opinion.

Photo follows shortly...

104FE1CE-D240-41DA-964A-EBED262B70F3.jpeg
Last edited by chonchon on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:08 am

In my opinion, many attributes we would consider to be by tomotada himself, rather than later school work. Very sad this example is damaged. Piers, do you have the opportunity to aquire it?
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:16 am

He is a sort of friend and owes me a favour, so the answer could be 'yes'.

And just to add insult to injury I have another acquaintance with an unsigned shishi with a missing top jaw, which could also be a decent Netsuke if not for that.
Last edited by chonchon on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Collector's Gallery”