netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Chon's Reflections

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
souldeep

Re: Chon's Reflections

Postby souldeep » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:28 am

What a lovely example. That has some age. I especially like the outside of the tusk being displayed on the most prominent areas of the bowls, shown in your first image.

I've often heard it be said these were used to carry perfume. Do you have theory why, often, we find the remnant of odourless white powder in these hyotan's? Would we expect perfume, over time, to reduce to such a substantial amount of white powder?
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:42 am

In consideration of your question regarding the two halves - I'll keep an eye out for one I could donate to the cause, then remove the centre ring, and report back what lies beneath :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:34 am

Martyn: "I've often heard it be said these were used to carry perfume. Do you have theory why, often, we find the remnant of odourless white powder in these hyotan's? Would we expect perfume, over time, to reduce to such a substantial amount of white powder?"

All I can do is ask around here in Japan, but the answers to such questions are more often to be found in the studies of Netsuke done in the west. Perhaps this might be a good chance for me to contact the Tokyo Netsuke people and ask them for an opinion...(in Japanese might be more fruitful?).

PS The metalwork on the hyotan is likely to be silver, although earlier I wrote 'white metal' to play safe.
Piers

Size is something.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:57 pm

I really like the frogs on the mushroom cap; hope it really is pressed resin, in which case there might be others like it around. But I don't recall seeing anything quite like it before. In the photo it could almost pass for umimatsu, except for the fine cracks.

Alison

Clive

Postby Clive » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:18 pm

The Frog on the Mushroom Cap could be a low grade Umoregi.. I have quite a few bits that have a similar crackling pattern.
Piers.. try giving the edge of the piece a rub on some rough paper.. see if it leaves a brown mark.

RoyT

Postby RoyT » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi Piers,

I realy like the hyotan :) Do you think the bottle cap is as old as the netsuke? Looking at the large version of the third picture the "winecork" part of it does not look that old to me.
Regards Roy

Tsunuki

Postby Tsunuki » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Clive wrote:The Frog on the Mushroom Cap could be a low grade Umoregi.. I have quite a few bits that have a similar crackling pattern.
Piers.. try giving the edge of the piece a rub on some rough paper.. see if it leaves a brown mark.

Agreed, it looks like Umoregi. I posted most of my examples to the topic here:
http://forums.netsuke.org/viewtopic.php?f=494788&t=8079258&p=68673&hilit=umoregi#p68541
Ryan Snooks

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Many thanks for the supportive and thoughtful replies. Really much appreciated. I will try rubbing the black one Clive when I get a minute. Not the kind of umoregi that I have run across before, but Ryan's link has changed my mind.

A quick answer to Roy above re the wooden plug. It looks old, but it was loose in the mouth of the hyotan and in imminent danger of getting lost. I could see faint traces of old washi paper having been wound around it, so I used old washi to rewind it in order to fit perfectly. Very rough brown fibry paper, it does have a cork-like appearance, and you have eagle eyes! :D
Last edited by chonchon on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:38 am

Recently a Japanese friend opened a bag and started pulling out Netsuke that he had collected over the years. “You can have this one”, he said, and “what about these two ceramic Netsuke, where were they made, what do you think they are worth?”
“Oh, and how about this Ojime then?”

The Ojime was a lovely little oval iron bead, signed Gyokuryu 玉龍 with a boy in silver zogan/makie chasing after a golden dragonfly. I told him that this would definitely be worth something in the right market. He will probably put it into a J auction.

The dark wood manju/kagamibuta with ivory/bone center that he gave me was split and missing its peg. What should I do with it?

7A78CD5F-7DF8-448C-A9F9-3FCCAC44F2FC.jpeg

7E3E24DD-8471-4FF8-9678-B7947E29D9C1.jpeg
Last edited by chonchon on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:16 am

My daughter took one look and said "Why bother?" :shock:
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Collector's Gallery”