netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Chon's Reflections

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
AFNetsuke

Re: Chon's Reflections

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri May 18, 2018 4:04 pm

And we will look forward to that article!
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat May 19, 2018 7:44 am

Ah, kind of you to say so, Alan.

(Dang, now I might have to put my money where my mouth is...!) :lol:
Piers

Size is something.

ABland

Postby ABland » Sat May 19, 2018 11:42 am

chonchon wrote:
On the 15th of May I was at an antiques fair and found two quite good Netsuke buried among the drawers of discarded old objects and later fakes. It is somewhat like sitting on the beach sifting through millions of pebbles. As a child I delighted in finding a fossil, a rare Iona stone, a carnelian agate, or a piece of amber. With rain approaching I might sit and count how many Netsuke I have discovered since I last came over here in the autumn; around twenty, surely! :twiddlingthumbs:

I am very excited to see pictures or your latest finds. One of the things i love about buying netsuke in japan is the hunt and having a good dig through stuff. Its like you have to put the work in to be rewarded.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon May 21, 2018 2:10 am

Ah Adam, a sweet thought, but sadly they are not really good enough to grace the pages of this forum. Otherwise I would have posted them along with most of the other bits on one of my rambling threads! :D
PM on its way...
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:50 am

Compared to the last two, this will fall even further down the scale of finds, but there is something rustic about it that appeals to me. It was not very expensive, and I saw it several times before I finally decided to give it a new home. Bought from a stallholder at the antiques fair in Ako Castle (of 47 Ronin fame) in Hyogo on 15 June 2018.

Right, it's a mokugyo Netsuke, made out of some kind of striated wood, and feels light in the hand. The tree rings have a nice glow to them, and the bottom of the mokugyo deliberately shows off the beauty of the rings symmetrically. Hollow inside, it makes a 'toc, toc, toc' noise when you strike it with a hard object. The carving is rudimentary, but what tipped the balance for me was a name written on one side in black brushwork. Possibly the carver/user.

The first two characters are legible, 紀 三...skip one, then maybe 吾 or 吉?

3CB7480B-2629-4472-B70F-4F070923698D.jpeg

16913238-FE5A-459D-B92C-5D946E7E76A2.jpeg
Last edited by chonchon on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Piers, I agree with your feelings on this piece. Perhaps I'm just trying to justify my ownership of some of those early purchases or auction group lot remnants by saying they add depth to a collection. They show the broad range of pieces from the poor man's utilitarian netsuke and sagemono to the pieces of high artistic skill and fine materials sported by the wealthiest classes in Japan. It also allows one to capture a larger number of subjects, their variations, and materials.
Alan

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:11 pm

What I love about Japanese culture is the utilitarian aspect mixed with art. A small vase broken in pieces but gold repaired has value if does not leak but if does leak then is just a reference object. Your mokugyo bell Piers is first of all a bell, it works as a Netsuke, artistic merit is secondary. :shock:
Nec spe nec metu

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:01 am

Appreciate the considered comments. It is what it is, with no pretense to be anything else.
(Although in the photos it looks chipped or scratched in places, that is a trick of the light with these low pixel shots.)
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Collector's Gallery”