netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

new purchase

Showcasing netsuke from our membership
Victor

new purchase

Postby Victor » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:53 pm

Good evening, I've posted some pictures of my latest purchase, a tagua nut netsuke of a recumbent goat 4.8cms wide x 3.8cms tall. I think it is nicely carved with lovely detail, I did think it was boxwood but was assured it is tagua nut. How does one tell the difference ? The signature puzzles me, the first character seems to be Ichiraku, the second one Masa, can someone please help me with this ? I am also pondering of how to remove glue residue from a boxwood netsuke where a leg has been reglued, but without causing further damage, loss of stain etc

Victor
Attachments
DSCF0001 (11).JPG
DSCF0002 (14).JPG
DSCF0003 (13).JPG
DSCF0004 (14).JPG
DSCF0005 (11).JPG
DSCF0006 (14).JPG
DSCF0009 (8).JPG

Victor

Re: new purchase

Postby Victor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Good evening, I'm disappointed that my post has not received any comments, surely someone has ideas on how to remove glue residue, without damage to the netsuke, and my difficulty reading the signature.

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi Victor,

we hate to see you disappointed and we understand your feelings in not receiving any reactions to your post.
The reason that our members have held back here, might be that they are having some doubts about the piece you shared. Surely we always find it easier to bring good news and to congratulate than to doubt or to dissapoint.
For what it's worth, the signature may read "Mitsumasa", but on this sort of pieces, this most likely is not linked to a registered carver.

You asked about the removal of glue on a boxwood netsuke where the leg had been repaired. Would this refer to the netsuke in this post or to another one ? On the pictures we don not seem to find any significant residues ?

Good luck in your next buy(s), Victor !
Please do not hesitate to ask further questions ...
Last edited by Oishii on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan

Victor

Postby Victor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:20 am

Many thanks Jan for your comments, I'd rather have bad news about an item rather than no news, so thank you again. The item with the glue residue is not the one in my post , but another that I sold some weeks ago, the buyer is happy enough with his purchase but asked me the same question that I have asked. I'm sure the residue can only been seen under a glass because I wasn't aware of the repair.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:07 am

永正 can be read Nagamasa, Eisei, or even Eisho. I do not think you could get a whole head turning back like that from a Tagua nut, so my money would be on boxwood. Although the carving looks good to my old eyes and the fuzzy pictures, I do not sense any great age to it, but I could easily be wrong.

As to removal of glue, there are so many types of glue around that I would ask for a clear photograph or two, or three. You do not know who glued it, with what, so an assessment of what the new owner is talking about is needed. Ultimately, it may be impossible to remove completely, but there is often some way to lessen the visual impact.

Today is the first time I have seen your post, Victor.
Last edited by chonchon on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:47 am

Good morning Walter.

The photos are a bit blurred, but it would still seem to my eye this is a recent carving from outside of Japan.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Victor

Postby Victor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks for the comments, I have added some clearer pictures

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks Walter.

Sorry. I'm struggling to see an improvement in the photography. It is still a recent, non Japanese, carving in my eyes.

Could I suggest a tripod? It will remove camera shake, and make for easier framing when you are taking images for your customers, or to share here.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Victor

Postby Victor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi, apologies the pictures I thought I added seem to have disappeared so I'll try again
Attachments
DSCF0012 (2).JPG
DSCF0013 (2).JPG
DSCF0014 (2).JPG
DSCF0016 (2).JPG
DSCF0017 (2).JPG

Return to “Collector's Gallery”