netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Trying to identify by signature

Discussions of carvers, workshops and attributions. A forum to also find help on, or discuss, signatures.
odintiger

Trying to identify by signature

Postby odintiger » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Hello I am reposting this single carving seperatly in hopes it may be by a modern carver and someone could shed some light on the carver and when the carving was made.

A moderator had this to say:

"The second figure does have some better qualities such as pose, movement, certain details, but also some features of a tourist piece. Perhaps it is by a late known artist so we will leave this topic unlocked in case anyone wants to opine as to signature, dating, etc."

Hope this is the right area for this question

Here is the carving and thank you ahead of time for any insights
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

chonchon

Re: Trying to identify by signature

Postby chonchon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:21 am

秀山 (+ Kao), can be read either Shuzan or Hideyama. There is an added dot to the right of 山 which may be a smoke screen. It has elements that became fashionable around WW1, including a sort of Chinese feel to it, so be prepared to roll with the punches.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:25 am

PS When I say Chinese, I mean that Chinese artists began to imitate Japanese Netsuke when they saw the market potential. Since one theme of Japanese Netsuke was classical Chinese themes, this made it easier for some Chinese artists to adapt and attempt crossovers.
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:09 am

chonchon wrote:PS When I say Chinese, I mean that Chinese artists began to imitate Japanese Netsuke when they saw the market potential. Since one theme of Japanese Netsuke was classical Chinese themes, this made it easier for some Chinese artists to adapt and attempt crossovers.

An important piece of the puzzle, Piers!
Alan

odintiger

Postby odintiger » Thu May 24, 2018 3:30 pm

Did some of the Chinese figures make their way into the Japanese market as I was told the figure was purchased and brought back from Japan in and around the 40's
After some reaserch and correct me if I'm wrong this indeed does not look like your hastily carved tourists trinket some of the detail work and the expression and flow of the little fellas kimono seems to suggest something more precise and some care taken when it was carved (could it be a student piece or an early carving of a genuine artist) can the signature be associated with anyone ??
Thanks Chris

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue May 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Hello odintiger.
Yet another possibility is a 20C carver by the name of Kogyoku Kawashima, who for some unknown reason, carved under many aliases, one of them being Shuzan. Here is my file page on this carver along with one of the two netsuke I purchased when I first began collecting. The information on the file page will help you understand. The information was published in an Arts of Asia special edition journal published in 1972 I believe. I hope this information might help you. Since he is a Japanese carver of the 20C, it would be a little better than it being a Chinese carving.
Attachments
Kogyoku.001.jpeg
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Tue May 29, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

Return to “Artists & Signatures”