netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Tachi Kake Signature

Discussions of carvers, workshops and attributions. A forum to also find help on, or discuss, signatures.
Curran

Tachi Kake Signature

Postby Curran » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Hello, my name is Curran.
I am a longtime collector of metalwork, especially Japanese work.

While I am very accustomed to reading the signatures and kao on most fittings, vases, etc. I never think to look for signature on wood
items related to my hobby. I recently turned over a very nicely done wood tachi kake that I've had for years, and realized for the first time that it is signed or marked.

It appears to me more of a kao, but I cannot make heads or tales of it. Nor has anyone in the forums I usually frequent. Having helped and been helped by the netsuke crowd before, I thought to turn here for some help.

Please see the pictures. Is anyone here able to give me a clue how to read this? It is decidedly different than most signatures I deal with.
Help is MOST appreciated, as I hate being stumped like this.
Attachments
2018 Sword Stand 08.jpg
2018 Sword Stand 09.jpg
2018 Sword Stand 04.jpg
Last edited by Curran on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

AFNetsuke

Re: Tachi Kake Signature

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:13 am

I don't see any photos attached to your post.
Alan

Curran

Postby Curran » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:05 am

As a newbie to this forum, I am under moderation.
Hopefully the photos I uploaded will be approved and visible soon.

I don't even know what the correct orientation on the kao or mark should be, so I posted it and the 180 degree version of it.
It has been a long time since I felt this clueless about anything related to Japanese swords.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:31 am

The first image I believe is right side up, and it looks like a Knight's head gear and shield to me--perhaps it is a kao meant to be a simplification of those two elements. I agree it doesn't seem like kanji, and so a kao would be my guess
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:44 am

Hi Curran welcome to the site, and thanks for showing this good solid Tachi-kake. Are you not a member of the NMB? Surely Mr Morita is the person to ask about this? It looks like an artist's individual pictorial representation of two Kanji, the sort of thing that is not designed to be read, but which someone may just recognize immediately, or not. A lucky shot is what you need, I reckon! :) Good luck!

PS I will put my penny down on picture two, just to balance Judy out. The top character could be something like 日 or 目 and the bottom 道 or 邊, but with no degree of certainty here.
Last edited by chonchon on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

Curran

Postby Curran » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am a longstanding NMB member- since its earliest incarnations under other management.

Morita-san is a valuable resource on NMB who hasn't been around much recently. I wanted to give it a long good go before reaching out to him.
I thought my reading comprehension was getting into the solid -intermediate- level, but this one totally thumped and stumped me.

dougsanders

Postby dougsanders » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:51 pm

To me, photo 1 is the correct orientation. It seems clear that it's a depiction of a men (helmet/face mask), tsuki (throat protector) and do (chest protector). I agree that they're a composite of kanji, but which ones- I haven't a clue, except 日 doing service as the tsuki possibly .
Last edited by dougsanders on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kikue

Postby kikue » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:26 pm

It looks like 四福 (Shifuku).

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:28 am

Four happinesses! Kikue San, yes, that would definitely fit!!!
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:23 am

We are so fortunate to have folks here that together can sleuth these things out. Doug, like me, sees the artistic elements of men's protective gear, and he feels that kanji have been implemented in its design. Kikue and Piers with their knowledge of Japanese, can find the stylized kanji and possibly the title of the Tachi Kake? So my question is--the kanji reading "Four Happinesses" - is that the title that refers to the four elements in the design -helmet, face mask, tsuki (throat protector) and do (chest protector)? Or is it the makers mark or signature?
Judy

Return to “Artists & Signatures”