netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Help with signature

Discussions of carvers, workshops and attributions. A forum to also find help on, or discuss, signatures.
Oishii

Re: Help with signature

Postby Oishii » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Great, thanks for correcting me, Piers !
This lower part of the signature seems a bit odd as well ...
Last edited by Oishii on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan

souldeep

Re: Help with signature

Postby souldeep » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 pm

chonchon wrote:The top part of that kanji is wrong. Tsuchi 土 means earth, but Shi 士 is warrior/Samurai. The relative lengths of the cross strokes differentiates them.

Thanks Piers.

I felt the first of the two Kanji I shared was the most likely 赱. Do you concur or was I totally off track?

On the reading underneath - any ideas? I like the challenges around reading Kanji - but I'm embarrassed to say I'm totally stumped by what follows!

I wondered if one needs to make a Kun reading - might the further markings be hiragana? Based on the age bracket I'd place the piece, that would make this type of reading feasible.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Artists & Signatures”