netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Lots of 17th Century Inro v Lack of 17th Century Netsuke?

A forum to discuss different forms of Netsuke such as Katabori, Manju, Ryusa etc
MakkaPakka

Lots of 17th Century Inro v Lack of 17th Century Netsuke?

Postby MakkaPakka » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:15 pm

I see lots of examples of very early Inro but very few Netsuke that are described as 17th Century. I actually can't recall seeing one?

I have often read that very early Netsuke were found objects or Manju but I haven't come across any of the latter dated as 17th Century. Does anyone have any examples of 17th Century Netsuke they would share?

neilholton

Re: Lots of 17th Century Inro v Lack of 17th Century Netsuke?

Postby neilholton » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 pm

This is a topic we have discussed before on the forum, even in the journal.

I believe, you have probably examined 17th Century netsuke. I'm certain you will have seen them in books. The issue, its simply safer to say 18th Century....its the status quo.

Common sense though, a sophisticated early inro would demand an equally sophisticated netsuke. On our next PB road day remind me to bring you some netsuke I think might be candidates.

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks Neil, I should have search the forum! Look forward to seeing some examples.

If anyone remembers which journal the article was in please let me know?

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:28 am

There must be plenty of unsophisticated ones around too, but since they date from before the 'rules' of Netsuke came to be formed, they are not generally valued in the West, and most have probably remained under the radar. I have shown early examples to people but received little interest. Many of course were not signed for one reason or another, until the insertion of an artist Mei became acceptable and even fashionable. Stunningly examples of high-quality Momoyama Netsuke, such as would go with beautiful inro, will be nesting deeply in people's collections, I suspect.
Piers

Size is something.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:09 am

A good place to start researching 17th-century netsuke might be Matthew Welch and Sharen Chappell, Netsuke: The Japanese Art of Miniature Carving, the catalogue of an exhibition at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts in 1998/1999. Pages 11-20 deal with 17th-century netsuke, including descriptions in 17th-century literature and illustrations of eight examples that are assigned an early date. The authors point out, though, that it's often hard to be sure a netsuke is really as old as that.

Alison

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 am

Bakurae wrote:Matthew Welch and Sharen Chappell, Netsuke: The Japanese Art of Miniature Carving

Thanks Alison, I will buy a copy and start there.

Return to “Netsuke Types”