netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Netsuke or not...

A forum to discuss different forms of Netsuke such as Katabori, Manju, Ryusa etc
Oishii

Re: Netsuke or not...

Postby Oishii » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:08 pm

lmallier wrote:Alan, surprising material for a netsuke! really not common... It must be quite thick because MOP tends to break easily no?
Hi Louis,
in the VH auction of past week, there was a Mother of Pearl piece that was outstanding and the material is very suitable for the subject.
SAIGYÔ HÔSHI AT THE FOOT OF MOUNT FUJI
The itinerant monk, appreciated by emperor Toba for his poetic talent, is sitting at the foot of the, in his words, 'unparalleld Mount Fuji". Opposite there are the famous pines of Miho, the large hat and the knobby staff are on the ground in front of him.Japan.
fuji.jpg

Meleagrina mother-of-pearl
18th C - 4,4 cm
finely engraved and polished, skillful utilisation of the material rarely used for Netsuke.

PS. Alan, thanks for showing your Ex-Mang Fish, which is quite unique.
Jan

lmallier

Postby lmallier » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:44 pm

AFNetsuke wrote:Louis, it is almost as thick as the original shell. If you've seen old abalone shells around the tidal rocks they attach to when alive you'll notice they get quite a lot of violent churning in the surf. Try prying one off the rocks. I've never broken one.

Yes Alan, understandable.
Thanks.

Louis
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Qui n'a pas les moyens de ses ambitions a tous les soucis" 
Talleyrand

lmallier

Postby lmallier » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:45 pm

Oishii wrote:
lmallier wrote:Alan, surprising material for a netsuke! really not common... It must be quite thick because MOP tends to break easily no?
Hi Louis,
in the VH auction of past week, there was a Mother of Pearl piece that was outstanding and the material is very suitable for the subject.
SAIGYÔ HÔSHI AT THE FOOT OF MOUNT FUJI
The itinerant monk, appreciated by emperor Toba for his poetic talent, is sitting at the foot of the, in his words, 'unparalleld Mount Fuji". Opposite there are the famous pines of Miho, the large hat and the knobby staff are on the ground in front of him.Japan.
fuji.jpg

Meleagrina mother-of-pearl
18th C - 4,4 cm
finely engraved and polished, skillful utilisation of the material rarely used for Netsuke.

PS. Alan, thanks for showing your Ex-Mang Fish, which is quite unique.

Thanks Jan for highlighting this. I will sleep less stupid tonight. ;)

Louis
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Qui n'a pas les moyens de ses ambitions a tous les soucis" 
Talleyrand

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:08 pm

The VH piece uses the natural thickened area where the shell curls a bit at the edge to form the mountain base/ground.
Alan

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi Alan, Louis,

Coincidentally, we handled a Mother of Pearl piece today that reminded me of the Fish of the same material that Alan posted.
This boar has the metal ring fitting still with it.
Boar.jpg
Untitled.jpg
Jan

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Jan, thank you for showing that! I've wondered whether mine had a metal ring or perhaps the cord came through the single himotoshi and was tied in a fancy knot on the front. I suspect mine was more like this one. Our local chapter meeting on July 10 will focus on mother of pearl as a topic as part of our planned materials discussion. CalBear will lead the discussion with PowerPoint presentation and viewing of all the material members brought along. Anyone in the SF area at that time please contact me as we may have room for one or two more members.
Alan

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:21 am

Have a splendid Chapter Meeting, Alan !
and good luck with your presentation on MOP, Steve.
Maybe it would be good to have a mother of pearl topic with some of the things presented there ?

From a carvers point of view, how is it as a material ?
I imagine it may be quite challenging to carve and may not offer the same possibilities as 'katabori', carved in the round pieces ...
what are the experiences of our carvers ?
Jan

Tsunuki

Postby Tsunuki » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:51 am

^ There actually is an old Mother of Pearl topic, located within the Shell & Coral subforum of the Materials forum.

My mother of pearl rabbit with smoked bamboo peg isn't nearly as nice as these other examples (only one side is carved, and the carving isn't as refined) but it seems to fit in the same slab manju category. I don't think the bamboo peg is original. Measures 2.7" x 1.9" x 0.17".
20160616_230359.jpg
20160616_230512.jpg

Besides the wonderful mother of pearl scene of Mt. Fuji from VH (which I was sorely tempted to bid on), Lempertz had a MOP squid bundled with some less interesting netsuke: https://www.lempertz.com/en/catalogues/lot/1072-1/1104-five-netsuke-of-different-materials-19th-century.html

And just to reiterate, the subject ivory slice netsuke is magnificent.
Ryan

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Thanks for the link, Ryan. I like the Lempertz octopus, it was probably the subject that could best utilize the shape of a piece of "found" shell.
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:45 pm

Just came across this lovely tusk section in Barry Davies Oriental Art, collection of W Bossard. This one is signed Bunshojo and Gansui, 19C Iwami School! Thought you might enjoy the comparison...
Attachments
IMG_1827.jpg
IMG_1828.jpg
Judy

Return to “Netsuke Types”