netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Sashi Netsuke

A forum to discuss different forms of Netsuke such as Katabori, Manju, Ryusa etc
chonchon

Sashi Netsuke

Postby chonchon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:42 am

Sashi Netsuke. 差す Sasu is the verb, and it means to stick into, push into, insert, etc. It may help to think of the shorter of the two long Katana, called a Wakizashi (s changes to z in 2nd position in a compound) which means a side sword pushed down through the obi alongside the longer one. Imagine also pushing a pirate pistol down into your belt.
Both a pistol and a sword scabbard have catches or knobbles on them which stop them sliding right through and out.
In the same way a Sashi Netsuke usually has some physical property to ensure it a) can hang something from it b) it does not slip right through. It will also be long enough to peek out both above and below the obi or later, the belt.
Sometimes they will be a plain peg; others will be decorated and even signed, and maybe shaped like a dragon or a fish or something.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Re: Sashi Netsuke

Postby chonchon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 am

Right at the end of Edo, when more and more young gentlemen started to adopt Western dress, a wide woven or leather belt meant that sagemono were hung from something still having vestiges of Sashi Netsuke to them. Today I would like to show a sadly perished leather and cloth waist purse, perhaps for carrying folded calligraphy paper.

The brass tang slides down behind the belt but has a claw at the top to fix it on the top edge of the belt. The chains hang from there. At the bottom are two holes for a string and this one has the original still in place. It was probably for pulling over and around in some way as a safety lock.
You may find these same elements in older Sashi Netsuke made from other materials, such as stag antler.

Forgive the reverse order, but occasionally it can be useful to work backwards in the evolutionary process.
Pics following:
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:07 am

Unfortunately I am having to scrap this historical remnant as a friend wants the metalwork, which is why I have chosen to post now while it still exists. He made me an offer I could not refuse... :skull’n crossbones:

C73B83BC-3C2A-4FA0-9409-4D419E53DAF5.jpeg

1893D248-94AB-4DC4-8D75-A40A01D9B939.jpeg

79B81B17-8EDB-4A9E-8AD0-A7B4A28E83F5.jpeg
Last edited by chonchon on Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Great information, Piers, as always!
I love your word etymology and use of illustrative examples.
Last edited by AFNetsuke on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:20 pm

A shame to destroy a piece of history will never came back :( but we must move on, hopefully giving new life to the best part of the set :D
Nec spe nec metu

Return to “Netsuke Types”