netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Junishi

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
neilholton

Re: Junishi

Postby neilholton » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:58 pm

I love the Kyoto stag-antler dog

onimh

Postby onimh » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Did you bid on it Neil?
On several occasions over the years I've lost out on a bid only to see it on your website!
I found that both comforting (confirmation that I was bidding on a good one) and disconcerting (I should've bid higher as it was obviously "worth" more).
I appreciate the note.

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:07 pm

I honestly did not see it...

Lisa and I are right in the middle of organising our May Catalogue/Exhibition so I've taken my eye off the ball. If I'd had the opportunity I would have been trying :)

Its an honest example of a Kyoto beckoning dog. These are thought to be the precursor to the ivory and wood model. I like them very much, and are a true collectors netsuke in my view. Congratulations you got me this time :lol:

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:51 am

Nice to have a collar and ornament too. Agreed. We like this one.
Piers

Size is something.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:16 pm

Contemporary contribution for the Dog Year, in HB, signed R-Kangyoku, is part of the Junishi in HB carved by him, today 76...
Attachments
Forum.jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:33 pm

souldeep wrote:... Dogs are often seen with balls. If the theory is correct, and visually it looks feasible, the artist is being very playful with his customer. The customer in turn can be playful with presentation. A truly interactive piece of netsuke art ;)

This one is a pure "ball netsuke" signed Kikugawa, 44 puppys and each one look with different expression...(?)
Attachments
The LUB Collection 001nnn (2).jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

onimh

Postby onimh » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:55 pm

The Kangyoku's great!

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:22 am

The Forum has been eerily quiet of late. Just to make sure it's not just an electronic glitch, I'll reopen the celebration of the Year of the Dog with a humble example. There are some great ones up above, and perhaps more will follow. Where is everybody???
20180210_201231.jpg

Alison

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:36 am

SNAP!!! I have just posted in the coffee lounge, where it was eerily quiet...

Sweet dog, Alison, with ribbon and posed demurely! 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Alison,
Your puppy I believe is a ceramic netsuke? I have looked for one with the hair detail - it is very different from other ceramic examples. I have not been lucky finding one yet.
Luigi, I have always loved Kangyoku's animal carvings with their large clumsy paws! The HB just adds to their unique charm. I love that Kangyoku Junishi set, and we are fortunate that you are willing to share it here.
I am sorry I have been so absent. I ended last year with a bronchitis that went to my lungs and pretty much ruined my Christmas holiday with my children. It took a long time to feel better, and then it came back--Three rounds of antibiotics and two rounds of prednisone later, I think I am finally almost over it!
Nothing new to share, as I have had a quiet collecting year. But this very small roly poly piebald puppy is worth repeating! He is really tiny. Originally thought to be a child's netsuke it measures 3cm x 2.2 x 2.3. Unsigned, I am wondering if it could be attributed to a school at least. Would love to have your thoughts. Originally I thought Kyoto, but I now think that is not correct.
Attachments
IMG_5691.jpg
IMG_5694.jpg
IMG_5692.jpg
IMG_5697.jpg
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”