netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Junishi

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
onimh

Junishi

Postby onimh » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:13 pm

Welcome to the year of the dog and one of my favorites of 2017 (the first dog shown)!
Attachments
1 Unsigned Dog IMG_4935.JPG
1 Unsigned Dog HSSV0002.jpg
1 Unsigned Dog GBYH3719.jpg
1 Unsigned Dog.jpg
1 Unsigned Dog 1.JPG
Hiroaki Dog 1.JPG
Hiroaki Dog 2.gif

chonchon

Re: Junishi

Postby chonchon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:22 am

Great selection, and I agree with you about No.1.
No.2, though, looks more like a fox...?
Piers

Size is something.

onimh

Postby onimh » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:39 am

Thank you.
I don't think it's a fox though; no tail (which you can't see as I didn't post the back side).

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:52 am

You might well be right! It was something about the length of the snout and its facial expression, and the human pose, suggesting impending shape-shifting, but only a feeling, nothing more. Thanks for the information about the tail! :)
Last edited by chonchon on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:54 pm

The second piece sure looks like a dancing fox. I like Pier's suggestion of shape-shifting. It also seems to be developing hands.
Last edited by AFNetsuke on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

onimh

Postby onimh » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Hmmm, maybe.
It doesn't stand upright at all but it did have, at one time, a tail-a fox tail?!

Perhaps I'll have to rename it the year of the fox.
Attachments
IMG_5498.JPG

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:06 pm

onimh wrote:Hmmm, maybe.
It doesn't stand upright at all but it did have, at one time, a tail-a fox tail?!

Perhaps I'll have to rename it the year of the fox.

Strangely enough, a dog is the enemy of cats, badgers and foxes that have changed their form – in a dog’s presence they have to take their own shape and flee for their lives. Even the presence of a simple talisman in the form of a dog may make them leave the people they have taken possession of!

John 

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:34 am

Hi Matt,

Is dog number 1 yours? A pleasing model. A stag work from the school of Tomotada perhaps?

I find the placement of the second himotoshi hole (the knot concealer) particularly interesting. The paw would caress around any fluff from the end of the knot. It might have encouraged the wearer to have tied an interesting braided ball in the end of the cord. The relationship between man and dog cemented on ownership of the piece.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

onimh

Postby onimh » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:55 pm

Yes, Martyn, all three are mine. I don't know about the school, but perhaps it's time (probably overdue) for me to start noticing those differences.
The first being my favorite, in a tight race, of 2017. I wasn't looking to acquire another dog but I couldn't resist him. It was just too realistic to resist. I like your idea of the himotoshi placement as well. I hadn't considered it. Thank you.

I'm also fully sold on the dancing fox and will be taking him off my Year of the _____ pedestal and placing him closer to the forest with the other shape shifters (tanuki and such). So thank you for that as well.
Last edited by onimh on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:00 pm

I think the placement is an element that elevates this netsuke into a much more playful relationship. Dogs are often seen with balls. If the theory is correct, and visually it looks feasible, the artist is being very playful with his customer. The customer in turn can be playful with presentation. A truly interactive piece of netsuke art ;)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”