netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Proverb and Allusion

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
souldeep

Re: Proverb and Allusion

Postby souldeep » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:50 pm

Hiryu wrote:Here is a great "allusion" in netsuke. It is a netsuke of a mino (farmer's rain coat), a scythe (farm tool), farmer's hat, and a yamabuki (wild yellow rose).

A beautiful netsuke. Both in style and meaning. Thank you for sharing :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:17 pm

Hiryu, your lovely netsuke is a Rusu Moyo netsuke--as it shows elements familiar to a subject, but does not show the subject. The raincoat infers the legend of Ota Dokwan but Ota Dokwan is absent. Wonderful netsuke! Love it! Mean it!
Judy

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:03 pm

John have you any thoughts on what type of bone the Inro is made from?

:?:

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:38 pm

neilholton wrote:John have you any thoughts on what type of bone the Inro is made from?

:?:

Good question Neil! Might be ox horn. Will let you see it next time we meet.

John 

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Yes, please do bring this along next time we meet. I would love to find a tonkotsu in this material. I think its whale bone :love:

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 pm

Interesting, Neil ... whale bone works must be quite rare ...

The Tomkinson Collection book (dating from 1898 !) had the following entry for John's Inro :
Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 22.20.29.png
Jan

Nio

Postby Nio » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:36 am

IMG_9972.jpg

Current INS Journal Page 14 Giovanni Rimondi to this netsuke of 4 blind men who are touching a different part of the elephant as,"an allusion to criticism by incompetents". The moral of the parable is that humans have a tendency to project their partial experiences as the whole truth, ignore other people's partial experiences, and one should consider that one may be partially right and may have partial information.
The tale later became well known in Europe, with 19th century American poet John Godfrey Saxe creating his own version as a poem, with a final verse that explains that the elephant is a metaphor for God, and the various blind men represent religions that disagree on something no one has fully experienced. (Wikipedia)
Nio " I never learn anything from listening to myself "

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:37 am

Whale is more likely than staghorn for John's unusual inro, but Neil can tell us how it feels in the hand. Is it comparatively heavy, or thin-walled to compensate?
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:30 am

Rather than explaining our examples posted here, as we have done so far, it might be interesting to show a Netsuke for the members to play with and draw out the proverb or allusion.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Ah well, perhaps I should go first...

The following Tsuge (boxwood) Netsuke is one that has not been shown on this site before, although similar ones have.
First it is a functional Netsuke, with a mottled surface and two large deep and worn himotoshi holes attesting to a working life.
It has a basic shape, as something in the Natural world. Most people would be satisfied at this point.

It also alludes to something, which most people might not catch.

Closer inspection from a different angle though shows a third aspect, another allusion, but this time to a fictional world and a well-known children's story.

Series of photos to follow... (once I have managed to reduce their sizes.) 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”