netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Hotei 布袋

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
chonchon

Hotei 布袋

Postby chonchon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:37 am

Since Hotei has come up in several different threads, I thought it might help to join them together here.
The name 'Hotei' is written as in the title above, and the same two characters can also be read 'Nuno-bukuro', or cloth bag. (I suppose it's a bit like saying 'corn pipe' and thinking of Douglas MacArthur, or 'riding hood' and thinking first of the wolf's intended lunch.)
Today I saw a Kutani kiln ceramic statue of Hotei at the antiques market, and his smiling face reminded me to start this thread. (Indications: one at least of a large sack, Karako/children, gumbai fan.)

Thread names:
Perhaps I'm getting closer, viewtopic.php?f=13339&t=8079867&hilit=Hotei
and
Man with Children, viewtopic.php?f=13339&t=8079898&p=73826&hilit=Hotei#p73826
Last edited by chonchon on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Re: Hotei 布袋

Postby chonchon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:15 am

Happy New Year 2018.

Kutani glazed pottery, height +/- 20 cm, 8 inches, 6.75 Sun.
Attachments
EA761423-D03B-40B3-9634-B48A0429A41B.jpeg
Last edited by chonchon on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Piers, could you elaborate on correct fan terminology? I've usually used the term "uchiwa" for the fixed fan. Is the use of "gunbai" or war fan/referee fan in association with Hotei more appropriate? Fixed fans rather than folding fans seem more favored at court and I suppose the term gunbai may work well in that setting since there was officiating (if that's a word) going on often when one appeared at court. Fixed fans are frequent in theater performances. Is there a different term for these? Do these distinctions matter for our purposes in netsuke art?
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Good question Alan, but I am about to sleep. Quick answer is that there are three basic fan types I think.
1. Folding concertina-style fans are called Sensu, and are often used in dancing, and fan-throwing parlour games.
An iron version the Tessen (Tetsu+sensu) was used for self-defense as in Tessen-jutsu.
2. Flat, light, rounded Uchiwa paper fans with a straight bamboo handle are more popular for summer nights, festivals, fanning charcoals when grilling eels etc. Easy to use and almost disposable, cheaper than a Sensu.
3. Gunbai/gumbai (pron.’goon-bye’) are similar but heavier, hyotan gourd shaped, and often made of metal and lacquer, used for judgement as you say like the judge in Sumo wrestling, or giving troop movement orders by a general in battle. They too have a handle. There is some ancient classical Chinese allusion with them.
The last rule is that sometimes the rules are broken. Hotei’s fan looks to be a crossover hybrid of Uchiwa and Gunbai.
And if you say ‘war fan’ in English, that could refer either to a military Gunbai or Tessen.
Last edited by chonchon on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:14 am

Hi Piers. Your okimono Hotei looks like a real person, in full color and with all the hair on his face. He is a charming and Happy fellow! The information that you have shared regarding the fan is a detail that only you offer up here. Thank you for all the explanations!
I have two Hotei, but only have an image of one of them. It is my favorite, even though he is lacking the fan and the sack! His expression had me at Hello! He gazes upward with a big welcoming smile, and even though not a master piece, I have always been charmed by him. I hope you like him too!
Attachments
Hotei.jpg
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:07 am

Judy, I sure do. What a nice find. Isn't he great! The cup of sake is unusual, but reminds me again that the exception can often prove the rule. The way his clothing is falling off is almost as though he were emerging from a sack!

Those earlobes reminded me of another aspect, his relationship to the Buddha. (The sack makes me think of an oriental St. Nick/Santa)
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/search;_ylt= ... VA&ts=7450
Last edited by chonchon on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks Piers! I enjoyed looking over the group of Hotei! There is one whose robe falls in the same manner. What an interesting thought that he is coming out of his sack- perhaps the saki has helped him along a bit! He is signed Komei.
I am attaching my file page on him. It was good that I started these file pages early on, much easier to do them one at a time than have 100 to do all at once! I keep an open file on my laptop in Keynote (an apple program) that I can continually add information to as it comes to light. It is so helpful to have a spot to put the info where it won't get lost or forgotten about. Many a post or information from this forum has been added to these files over the years. Many a tidbit from Piers lives in those files... Thanks again!
Attachments
Hotei by Komei.001.jpeg
Judy

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:21 am

I love your fatty titty big pulpuous ears smily and happy guy. I like the metal liner, somebody cared about.
Nec spe nec metu

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:57 am

Agreed, Carlo. For the himotoshi holes I am guessing 銀 (Gin) = silver or at least 四分一 (shibuichi). Silver makes the most sense for a number of reasons.

For such work I have never heard of the use of 鉛 (Namari) = lead.
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Thank you Carlo and Piers. I am glad you like him too! He remains a favorite of mine, and always out where I can handle him! I was not sure if perhaps the lining in the himotoshi may have been added later to protect it from wearing through. After all these years, the lining is loose and easily falls out. It looks as though it were poured into the opening due to the "poured shape" of that lining. Piers you mentioned it most probably is silver? Is that due to the time period it was carved or just knowing what would have been used for that type of carving?
Judy

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”