netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Hotei 布袋

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
chonchon

Re: Hotei 布袋

Postby chonchon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:26 pm

Judy, pure silver is malleable so it would be easy to work there, and the aesthetic of the time would have demanded it as fitting and proper. Lead would be an insult to the work. If this was my Netsuke and I suspected lead I would have it replaced at once with silver. Besides, it looks like silver in your photos, or if not then the much stronger Shibuichi. (But for lining Himotoshi holes I do not think you would need shibuichi. Silver on its own should be sufficient. Perhaps Clive could elaborate? )
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:31 am

Thank You, Piers, for this information. I will change my notes on it. I would like to think the silver lining has always been there. My netsuke are locked up right now, as I was traveling over Christmas. When I get them back, I want to check under the silver lining (it falls out readily) and see if there is signs of wear. If not, I perhaps can assume the lining has always been there. Because it is loose, and in two parts, I have always assumed it was added later. Thank you for making me rethink this!
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Judy, I was assuming (perhaps unwisely) that the reinforcement work was done in Japan. My comments might not be valid for work carried out elsewhere.
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”