netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Jiguro Sennin

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
MakkaPakka

Re: Jiguro Sennin

Postby MakkaPakka » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:07 pm

To me it looked like a moon, I hadn't thought of it been anything else. My imagination is defiantly not active enough!!! It dose break through at the point that would make your possible theory work.

I often don't get the hidden meaning of things and I'm very open to your idea Martyn and appreciate you input :)

Rob

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:45 am

I also thought it was a gibbous moon. But how does it connect with the other features? That's the mystery.
Alan

Tama

Postby Tama » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:13 pm

I notice there is a gourd and a toad. An amalgamation of all sennin perhaps?

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:46 am

AFNetsuke wrote:I also thought it was a gibbous moon. But how does it connect with the other features? That's the mystery.

Yes lots of different elements that I'm sure tell an interesting story. I purchased a couple of books on Japanese Mythology recently, I will get my head into these this week and see if anything jumps out at me.

Tama wrote:I notice there is a gourd and a toad. An amalgamation of all sennin perhaps?

I dont see the toad? I like the gourd it has been rendered with a textured surface which contrasts nicely against the rest of the sennin.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:06 pm

Could the black spot be meant as a place where the mist parts to give you a glimpse of the night sky, an analogy for the blackness of the ink (or the stone)?

Alison

Tama

Postby Tama » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Circled Rob! I could be wrong, but it looks like toad legs to me!
DSC_4165[1].jpg
Last edited by Tama on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Or a ribbon type decoration?
Alan

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Trying to relate the sennin figure on a journey to the monkey figure on the other side looking up from a rocky outcrop by water at trailing vines/hanging fruit, I wonder if this is about Tobosaku journeying in search of immortality by eating the peaches of the Goddess of the West, Seibo or even another sennin on the same quest. Just a thought!

John 

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:25 pm

Tama wrote:Circled Rob! I could be wrong, but it looks like toad legs to me!

Hi Jill, its been rendered in the same colours and tone as his robe so I believe its part of his clothing or a ribbon.

Bakurae wrote:Could the black spot be meant as a place where the mist parts to give you a glimpse of the night sky, an analogy for the blackness of the ink (or the stone)?

Intersting idea, thanks Alison.

tanukisan wrote:Trying to relate the sennin figure on a journey to the monkey figure on the other side looking up from a rocky outcrop by water at trailing vines/hanging fruit, I wonder if this is about Tobosaku journeying in search of immortality by eating the peaches of the Goddess of the West, Seibo or even another sennin on the same quest. Just a thought!

Nice idea, but how do the dragons fit in around the edge?

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:36 pm

I had assumed that the 8 dragons were purely decorative until I spotted they were all different though similar.

Japanese dragons are associated with both Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples, particularly those located near bodies of water where dragons supposedly reside.

Excerpt from "Myths & Legends of Japan"
by F. Hadland Davis.
The dragon has the head of a camel, horns or a deer, eyes of a hare, scales of a carp, paws of a tiger, and claws resembling those of an eagle. In addition it has whiskers, a bright jewel under its chin, and a measure on the top of its head which enables it to ascend to Heaven at will. This is merely a general description and does not apply to all dragons, some of which have heads of so extraordinary a kind that they cannot be compared with anything in the animal kingdom. The breath of the Dragon changes into clouds from which come either rain or fire. It is able to expand or contract its body, and in addition it has the power of transformation and invisibility.

John 

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”