netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Jiguro Sennin

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
MakkaPakka

Jiguro Sennin

Postby MakkaPakka » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:00 am

Hi all, hope everyone has enjoyed the summer? Has anyone come across a sennin called Jiguro and can you help me with any info about him?

My other thought is that it means dark skin sennin and not the actual name of the sennin.
Last edited by MakkaPakka on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

souldeep

Re: Jiguro Sennin

Postby souldeep » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi Rob - All my holidays used up, but recently had a short holiday from the forum :D

No I haven't heard of a "Jiguro" Sennin.

Could you provide some context? e.g. where did you get that name from, it will help assist me researching your question.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Lol, hope you enjoyed your break!

I had some text translated that is on the lid of a Suzuribako I purchased. See the translation below.

Untitled.png

Searching the internet for Jiguro Sennin I only found a reference that Jiguro can refer to person of dark skin and my sennin/ hermit has dark skin. Not sure on the Mask part of the translation as it doesn't appear that the lid has suffered any losses. There are dragons around the edge so they may be part of it. On the inside it has monkeys on a rock with waves crashing against it and what I think is a persimmon tree.

DSC_4165.jpg

DSC_4078.jpg

DSC_4199.jpg

I appreciate this has nothing to do with Netsuke or sagamono but thought the hunt for the sennin or meaning of it could be fun!

If not then please delete!

Rob

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Amazing Suzuribako , Rob - thanks for showing ! Widens our horizons beyond sagemono ;)
Alex

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks Alex,

I love the fact it has been used, The ink stone has traces of old ink and the water dropper has the residue of use. The water dropper is made from brass and on its own is a lovely piece of metal work. I will take a close up later to share.

DSC_4172.jpg

Rob

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi Rob - a lovely piece.

It doesn't have to translate as Mask - that can also be read Face or Surface in that context (Men - 面).

I think it can be read as black surface of the sennin (地黒仙人之面).

In other words - could it be a play on the function of the box? Black ink.

Would love to hear Piers opinion on this one.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:58 pm

MakkaPakka wrote:It doesn't have to translate as Mask - that can also be read Face or Surface in that context (Men - 面).

I think it can be read as black surface of the sennin (地黒仙人之面).

In other words - could it be a play on the function of the box? Black ink.

That makes sense, thank you for the input. It may take some time to figure out but I'm sure there is an interesting connection between the character on the front and the scene on the inside.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Could it be the sennin has blown the soul of black ink inspiration through the lid.. The inside of the box has a black blob of ink top'ish left?

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:34 pm

souldeep wrote:Could it be the sennin has blown the soul of black ink inspiration through the lid.. The inside of the box has a black blob of ink top'ish left?

The blob is a polished grey lacquer technique called rogin-nuri but doesn't show well on the lower res image I uploaded. Its the same technique used on the waves. I thought the rogin-nuri in the top left represented the moon?
Last edited by MakkaPakka on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:03 pm

Apologies for my crass use of language.

When I look at the work - it's sharp. The rogin-nuri on the top left doesn't look sharp like the rest of the piece. I would have expected the moon to be more moon like (in a crescent shape or full). Is it the photo and light? When you look at it in hand does it look like a moon?

I just wondered if the sennin one side, posed like a tekkai - has released a soulful inspiration, and eyes focused to the same spot as the shape on the underside of the box, breaking into the scene.

I have an over-active imagination!

Would love to hear Chris's point of view on this subject.

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”