netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

What's the Story?

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
Shugenja

Re: What's the Story?

Postby Shugenja » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:37 pm

When I suggested the umbrella behind the Oni no Nembutsu might relate to another Otsu-e figure, I was thinking of the Yakko who carries the spear... however, that's incorrect as it's actually a pompon at the top of the spear.
spear bearer.jpg

Martyn makes a good point about the Oni no Nembutsu figures that carry a closed umbrella. An umbrella serves as a protective device, so the fact that it's closed suggests that it's not needed. But John makes the point that the Oni no Nembutsu is a "Demon Impersonating a Nenbutsu Prayer Reciter". The suggestion is then made that the Oni carries the umbrella because, at some point, he'll be unmasked as not truly repentant, then will need to use it for protection when fuku mame are tossed at him.

The question about the open hand of the figure on the reverse might never be answered. Perhaps an inlay is missing. Did he have beans to toss at the oni ? Or was it an Okame-mochi sweet cake that he was going to enjoy during the performance ?

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Great contributions Chris and John to the meaning of this ryusa with some extra brain teasing ideas from Judy and Martyn. This kind of probing by multiple minds is what makes our forum great.
Last edited by AFNetsuke on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

onimh

Postby onimh » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:23 am

I couldn't agree with you more Alan.
All of the replies add to our collective knowledge in a meaningful, and enjoyable way.
The Oni/Seibo/Tobasaku sennin story is especially interesting to me as Oni and Sennin are a significant chunk of my collection. The play scenario appears more accurate regarding the manju theme and is also enlightening as to the Japanese culture.
Thank you all, as usual, for contributing and answering.

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”