netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

button-eyed goddess?

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
Bakurae

Re: button-eyed goddess?

Postby Bakurae » Thu May 18, 2017 11:14 am

Kaibutsu's Gama Sennin looks older. But the lady's costume will tell us more if we can figure it out. The collar has me stumped--even a Google search of various Asian traditional costumes turns up nothing like it.

Alison

Mamushi

Postby Mamushi » Thu May 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Good morning,
i think the female character depict the moon Goddess Gatten(one of the Juniten), usually is portrayed togheter a rabbit(the lunar hare)
i enclose a link from Lempetz auction with a netsuke depict Gatten and 2 pictures from the Lempertz catalogue June 2005
https://www.lempertz.com/en/catalogues/ ... -half.html
Regarding the man on the giant toad i dont think he is the Gama Sennin.
i think it depict Tokubei the bandit(even knowed as Jiraiya) usually depicted disguised as a toad or sitting on a giant toad.
i hope you will find those infos of help
best regards
Attachments
P5199252.JPG
P5199254.JPG
tenjikutokubei.jpg

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu May 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Thank you, Mamushi. I think you've solved the identification of both of these netsuke.
Pat I hope you will like your big-eyed toad/Tokubei even more now that we know it is a less common subject.
Alan

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Thu May 18, 2017 7:15 pm

I thought Gatten was the moon god not a goddess.The goddess Benten is often depicted in netsuke and paintings clutching a fan but part of her robes or scarf are shown floating up behind her, ditto buddhist angels. A moon goddess usually has a lunar hare at her side but does often carry a fan. Seiobo/ Queen mother of the west holding a fan is indeed a contender but the best bet is that this netsuke does not depict a goddess at all but simply a Chinese/Korean/Japanese court lady of indeterminate (for me) time period.

John 

Mamushi

Postby Mamushi » Thu May 18, 2017 8:04 pm

Gatten as been adopted from the Hinduist pantheon, in the Hinduist tradition is a male God but in Japan became Gnatoo a female goddess
best regards

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Thu May 18, 2017 9:20 pm

This is fascinating. Gatten does seem to have fringed shawls like my lady. I wish mine had a hare but if she did I probably couldn't have afforded her. Still several possibilities but this helps a lot. Thanks, all!

Alison

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”