netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

ONI & Hiiragi-Iwashi

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
Vlad

ONI & Hiiragi-Iwashi

Postby Vlad » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Yesterday I bought this fuchi/kashira set with a subject described as ONI & Hiiragi-Iwashi (the tools to expel the ONI) from a reputable Japanese dealer. All I can see is the oni itself, some looking like oak leafs and a fish head on a stick. I shall assume these attributes should have some particular meaning to expel oni and depicted across different art forms, but have never come across them before. Are there particular legends, traditions, rituals with use of these objects someone can share?
Oni & fish1.jpg
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

AFNetsuke

Re: ONI & Hiiragi-Iwashi

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

At Setsubun Oni are driven out of the house. Holly (prickly leaves) branches may be used and nailing dried sardines over the door keeps them from re-entering. The use of the word "tools" may have misled you into looking for something other than these products of nature as I'm sure you knew this already.
Great item! Any age estimate?
Alan

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:45 pm

Hello Vlad,

Alan gave already the correct hint. Please pull Barry Davies' book "Netsuke and Inro from European Collections", 2002 from your bookshelf. See the netsuke # 25 with further reference to Weber, Koji Hoten.

The design of Oni in connection with Holly may be rare, but nevertheless can be seen sometimes,

Reinhard
Attachments
154.JPG

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:18 pm

Thank you both! Found it.

The set is not signed, Alan, so all we can tell is late 18th-early 19th.
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:23 pm

A really lovely set Vlad. Congratulations.

The paperwork says Nara, late Edo, and the theme is described as Setsubun. There is a further explanation of the Setsubun connection in the blurry writing on the left.
Piers

Size is something.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:35 pm

Thank you, Piers. Here is a better picture of the NTKK Certificate. I am not sure about the color, so it will be either Hozon or Tokubetsu Hozon. The details were provided to me as follows:"Certificate by Nihon-Tosogu-Kenkyu-Kai(NTKK)
*Jury President: Makio Saruta.
(he is Director of NBTHK Osaka branch. and Author of " Tosogu-no-bi".)
Attachments
Oni & fish2.jpg

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:50 am

What an impressive ensemble! I really like it, and very nice to have the certificate as well. I look forward to see if Piers can translate the rest of it. Thanks for sharing, Vlad.
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:41 pm

OK, will do. Watch this space. (Be aware that this guy broke away from the NBTHK and set himself up on his own. There seems to be much history behind the scenes there in Osaka.) :shock:
Piers

Size is something.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:25 pm

Do you know something about him, Piers? The info I got was that he still was the Director of the Osaka branch... :shock:

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:05 am

Thanks Vlad.

Starting right and working left.

It starts with "Evaluation Certificate" in large letters, and is signed on the far left by the Nihon Tosogu Kenkyu-Kai, Sword Furnishings Study Group, with a date of December Heisei 28.

Continuing from right it says Fuchi/Kashira, Setsubun, Mumei, Shinchu-Ji.
Attribution, Nara. Period, Late Edo.
Then the measurements for the Fuchi and Kashira.
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”