netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

rare antique figure japanese ? monk beggar ?

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
tips1

rare antique figure japanese ? monk beggar ?

Postby tips1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:53 am

Hello
What can this Japanese Asian figure be. I believe it is a beggar or monk. He has a chicken or bird in one hand. In front of him are two bowls. What can it be ?. It is probably japan or china? I hope on experts.
I thank you very much

chonchon

Re: rare antique figure japanese ? monk beggar ?

Postby chonchon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Hello Tips, how large is this 'okimono' style figure, and can you show shots of the back and underneath? (It seems to disobey most of the parameters for a Netsuke.)
Piers

Size is something.

tips1

Postby tips1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Hello
It is not netsuke but I am looking for you as experts the answer, what the man means and from where he comes. I think japan
What is the name of this man bettler? What does the chicken mean?

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:35 pm

Thank you for the extra shot. The figure does not look typically Japanese to me, for various reasons, including those earrings. Certainly an expressive face. Sometimes a Japanese carver may portray a figure from another Asian culture; the Buddha, who went through a period of austerity, was always a popular subject.

I am not an expert on this kind of thing though. Just helping to get the ball rolling for you. Not quite sure why we are being asked, especially without dimensions, when this is a Netsuke site. Good luck!
Last edited by chonchon on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:35 pm

This is not Japanese - you would do better to find a forum dealing in Indonesian carving I suspect. Look at the ears - this type of piercing was not native to Japan. Sorry we can't help more.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”