netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Identifying Subject?

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
Tama

Identifying Subject?

Postby Tama » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:24 pm

I have a horn manju that I have fruitlessly tried to find what the subject exactly is... May I please ask for help with this? Thank you in advance!
Last edited by Tama on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oishii

Re: Identifying Subject?

Postby Oishii » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Jill

the subject of this (pressed ?) horn manju could be that of Endo Morito, who became a monk out of remorse, after tragic circumstances hit him.

Endo MORITO (MONGAKU SHONIN)

" also called ENDO MUSHA MORITO, from his military grade, Mushado Koro, was a captain living in Kyoto, who fell in love with KESA He, wife of a Samurai, WATANABE WATARU in 1143.
As she resisted his entreaties, he vowed to kill her family, unless she allowed him to kill her husband and became his wife. She made an appointment to receive him in her house at night, when he would find her husband asleep in a room, alone, and could kill him. Endo came, and cut off the head of the sleeping individual he met in the appointed room, only to find that it was the lady herself, who, taking the opportunity of her husband being on a journey, had dressed herself in some of his clothes, and sacrificed her life to save her honour.
Endo, finding his mistake, was overcome with grief, and, repenting his evil ways, shaved his head and became a monk, under the new name of MONGAKU. He retired to the district of Oki, and for twenty-one days remained naked, holding in his teeth the dorge-shaped handle of his bell, counting his beads, and praying under the waterfall of Mach (Kumano, Kii). Another version says that he began his penance on the 2oth day of the i2th month, and that three days after his body froze, but FUDO Mio-6 and his two attendants lifted him from under the icicles and brought him back to life. One of the Mountains of Oki bears the name of Mongakuzan, in his honour, and in commemoration of the holiness which he managed to attain. Mongaku doing penance is a pretty common subject. "(Joly, entry 182)
Jan

Tama

Postby Tama » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:05 pm

Thank you very much Jan. I have heard this story before, I couldn't recall it until you posted. Very much appreciated!

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:08 pm

You may also check here for some additional potentially useful discussions and images

viewtopic.php?f=13817&t=3994161&hilit=Endo+morito&start=70
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Great subject find Jill!!!!

I've never seen this subject in pressed horn before.

I've always drooled over this one;

AN01312227_001_l.jpg
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Despite our long discussions on this subject with Judy in the past, it is good to see two further examples of this rather rare subject. Martyn's above is of especially fine quality. Thank you for posting, Jill. Nice find.
Piers

Size is something.

Tama

Postby Tama » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:50 am

Thank you everyone. I thought this was in pretty good shape considering most of the pressed horn netsuke I have seen appear to have some sort of damage or eaten by insects. Although I couldn't pinpoint the subject, I was thinking he had a knife in his mouth, not a bell, I felt this was a special manju.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Jill, i think I've seen examples in which a knife was held between his teeth. Have you searched the archives for one?
Alan

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:19 am

Hi Jill,

It does look more like a knife than a bell, but we should give some artistic license. Although I've not been able to find any images of the subject with a knife, I have found a bell that looks a bit like the smaller end of the item in his mouth on your piece.

Yoshiiku_Ichikawa_Kodanji_as_Priest_Mongaku.jpg

Yoshiiku_Ichikawa_Kodanji_as_Priest_Mongaku_detail.jpg

The item in the above image looks like a Vajra bell. I think yours is possibly representing the same item. Below a photo of such an object.

vajra-bell.jpg
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”