netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Sennin

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
jbjtennyo

Re: Sennin

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:44 am

Gianrimo,
This is really a lovely ensemble. All of the figures seem to be carved in elaborate detail, with a beautiful finish.
Although the images of the manju are not very clear, it seems the figure on it is a tennin, more specifically a Tennyo (my avatar).

Definition copied from Google:
Tennin (天人), which may include tenshi (天使), ten no tsukai hiten (飛天, lit. flying heaven) and the specifically female tennyo (天女) are spiritual beings found in Japanese Buddhism that are similar to western angels, nymphs or fairies.

The ojime looks like a dragon and a snail, although I don't understand the pairing of those two--does anyone know if there is a story regarding that combination?
In any event, it is a lovely thing...thank you for sharing it with us!
Judy

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:21 pm

Judy, I'm looking for a snail but think what you may be seeing is the dragons tail.
This is a very fine set!
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:10 pm

Alan, what I am seeing is on the back of the ojime. I do see the tail of the dragon there, but it is covered in scales. I am speaking of the nautilus type shape to the left of the tail with what looks like a snail stretching out of it?
Judy

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:43 am

Judy, better photos would help us. Otherwise you have to figure out why there would be a snail with a dragon.
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:27 am

Well, there is this...

Dragon Palace Shell (Entemnotrochus rumphii).
The Legend of Dragon Palace

Japanese legend tells of Urashima Taro, a poor boy who one day rescued a sea turtle from a gang of children. The grateful turtle bore him on his back down to the fabulous palace of the Dragon King on the deep ocean floor. There he was feted as a hero by the beautiful Dragon Princess, forgetting for a while his humble home.

Eventually he yearned to visit his village once more. The princess gave him a small box to carry as a keepsake, and she made him promise never to open it lest he be unable to return to her. Curiosity got the better of him, however, and emerging from the waves he opened the box. In a flash, he turned into an ancient man with misty eyes and a flowing beard. Hobbling into his village, he realized to his horror that 100 years had passed in the mere weeks he had been in the palace and that no one he had ever known remained alive.

The marine snail shown here, Entemnotrochus rumphii, is known in Japan and China as the “Dragon Palace Shell.” Its pearly interior and beautiful pattern evoke the wealth and splendor of the Dragon King’s realm. Scientifically it is interesting as one of only 25 surviving species of the ancient Slit Shells, a family that was abundant in the Jurassic and Cretaceous eras. The long slit in the side of this so-called “living fossil” is a vent for water that has passed over the gills. This rare shell comes only from deep water off Japan and Taiwan, and perfect examples change hands for thousands of dollars. The Academy’s shells have multiple breaks that were repaired after their inhabitants survived attacks by predatory lobsters.
Judy

Gianrimo

Postby Gianrimo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:13 pm

It is a pleasure to read your comments.
I will try to get good pictures of the manju and ojime

Gianrimo

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:36 pm

Bravo, Judy! A great piece of research. How many of us Westerners would know about this shell association with the Dragon Kings palace?
Alan

Gianrimo

Postby Gianrimo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Here are a few more pictures. Not enough to solve the snail enigma. I will further investigate
IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG
IMG_3655.JPG
Attachments
IMG_3658.JPG
IMG_3659.JPG

Gianrimo

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Gianrimo-- you just missed the side where the snail shows--just to the left of the dragon's tail, I believe!
Of interest also, on the front of the manju under the Tennyo, you can see a nautilus shape and also scales of the dragon winding through the waves. I do believe the manju and ojime are a matched set, and probably the entire ensemble as it deals with immortals... how exciting!
Also, on the ojime, underneath the dragon's beard, is that a seal type signature?
Also, that might not be a Tennyo as her crown has a bird on it--I can't remember for certain, but I think that crown with bird was a different immortal??
Judy

mss

Postby mss » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Believe the subject depicted and discussed is a Tennin (Buddhist angel) in clouds. Often shown with Ho-o bird head-dress. Attach two examples, ryusa netsuke and pipe case.
Attachments
Tennin case close-up.jpg
Tennin ryusa 1.jpg

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”