netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Shunga discussion - different grades

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
jbjtennyo

Re: Shunga discussion - different grades

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Lohrberg, A really nice quality piece--what I noticed though, is that the dog looks circumcised! Is it just my imagination? (sounds like the words of a good song??lol)
Judy

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks so much Reinhardt. You have amazing pieces. I must always remember to examine the reverse of clasps.
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Reinhardt, I also like the "inside- outside" view of this scene. It is an interesting twist, understanding that there is more to the story. Really nice!
Judy

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:23 am

Reinhardt your collection is fantastic, always given us reasons to enjoy. Also I will never understand how you can be such a good details recognizer Judy, A CIRCUMSICED DOG :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you are right LOL but my two male schnauzers are telling me the artist is incompetent because that is not the shape of their jewel tool at all and most probably is the way the lascivious lady is fantasizing given what happens inside the house.
And Alan is right, a good lesson to look both sides of the clasps.
Last edited by carlomagno on Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec spe nec metu

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:09 am

Yes, JC! Thank you for picking up on that! That is exactly what I was thinking but thought it would be more interesting with a follow up. My mother and father raised irish setters, and so I do know a thing or two about dogs--and agree it does not look like a dog's "part"! I do think there might be some humor intended in portraying the dog as a man--her fantasy? possibly!
Judy

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:00 am

Reinhard,

A couple of observations;

• The metal worker is very skilled. Dogs look like dogs, humans like humans (for example see the head and face of the gentleman lying down). Why then does the ladies face on the front look instead like a dog/fox? I think this is on purpose and the story has deeper meaning.

• You'll notice a smoking tray (tabako-bon). A reference to a pleasure quarters. She is a lady of the floating world.

• The placement of the central hole is in the middle of her posterior. Again accidental? Perhaps not. Whatever you thoughts - that hole has quite a patina :D
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

KPR

Postby KPR » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:54 am

Kitsune. When observing the dogs, their true nature can be recognized.
Kitsune_IDW_change (1).jpg
Klaus

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:07 am

Bravo Klaus - you have answered the meaning! I was not aware that Kitsune are revealed when they look at dogs. Thanks for sharing.

That's quite an image you've found - are you a manga reader?
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

KPR

Postby KPR » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:43 am

souldeep wrote:That's quite an image you've found - are you a manga reader?

No, the picture was the result of a quick search for fox-woman (kitsune). The story behind it is worth reading.
Klaus

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:53 am

Aha - yes - wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune ) has a paragraph on your point;

Kitsune may also be exposed while in human form by their fear and hatred of dogs, and some become so rattled by their presence that they revert to the form of a fox and flee.

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”