netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Gamma sennin with flower

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
wevege

Gamma sennin with flower

Postby wevege » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 pm

My “gamma sennin” shows off carrying an uncanny attribute before his belly; in his right hand he holds a large flower with a long stem and some foliage that is nicely incorporated in the folds of his garment. The folds have been stained with sumi.
This rather common netsuke (105 mm) seems to be carved in marine ivory although it has a triangular section, the back slightly brown, but no visible Schreger-pattern, but no “crystalline” marks neither. Long hardly visible longitudinal stripes seem to exclude elephant ivory.
My question: is this flower carrying sennin a known hybrid?
Thanks,
Walter
Attachments
image.jpeg
Gamma sennin

lisa holton

Re: Gamma sennin with flower

Postby lisa holton » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Hey Walter - what a lovely item.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know is its marine ivory or not (although it doesn't look glass like enough to me and I will likely stand corrected on that one!) :D

I believe Gamma Sennin are immortal beings and the toads are something magical - the flower is probably a chrysanthemum and I think there is a story about this type of flower representing longevity and rejuvenation?

I think I remember a story about a sennin who painted the leaves of the chrysanthemum each morning with the characters for a sacred buddhist chant and when the characters were washed away the dew left behind was the elixir of eternal youth.

NOW - disclaimer!! As I said I'm very new and still learning so I would happily stand corrected on all the points I've just made except the one about it being a lovely item :D
Last edited by lisa holton on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:18 pm

lisa holton wrote:
I believe Gamma Sennin are immortal beings and the toads are something magical - the flower is probably a chrysanthemum and I think there is a story about this type of flower representing longevity and rejuvenation?

I think I remember a story about a sennin who painted the leaves of the chrysanthemum each morning with the characters for a sacred buddhist chant and when the characters were washed away the dew left behind was the elixir of eternal youth.

Lisa is referring is referring to Kikujido, the Chrysanthemum Boy, a "Chinese Legendary Figure" dating to the 10th century. Some say he was a sennin but many depictions of him in netsuke show no mugwort cape so typical of sennin. However, because he lived in the forest by a stream in exile, when leaves are depicted some would say it is only due to the circumstances in which he lived.

Hower, this is Gamma Sennin with his companion toad and also a flower that perhaps could also be a peony or lotus

I would guess marine ivory but can't be sure from this single photo. Walter, could you tell us the size and show the back?
Alan

wevege

Postby wevege » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Hello Alan.
The sennin stands 105 mm high.
Walter
Attachments
image.jpeg

bakuoo7

Postby bakuoo7 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:19 pm

Hello Walter,

For me I would say your netsuke is Elephant ivory. Its a good subject and may? or may not refer to the sennin Tobosaku who is often seen holding a peach and sometimes a fan. The toad upon his shoulder does make us think of Gamma Sennin but I would say he is not Gamma.

Could the flower be that of a peach?? But to me it does remind me of that of the chrysanthemum flower.

Picture 1. Here we have a Sennin and flower with a second small sennin seated within the flower. He has a fly-whisk (hossu) over his left shoulder.

Picture 2. Is that of Sennin Tobosaku with his peach again a small sennin seated within the peach.
Attachments
Sennin Flower.jpg
Sennin Peach.jpg
David Louis Brown

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Perhaps our Master of Materials, Clive, can confirm whether elephantine or marine material.
Alan

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 pm

bakuoo7 wrote:
Could the flower be that of a peach?? But to me it does remind me of that of the chrysanthemum flower.

I could settle on a peach colored mum.
20180416_122445.jpg
Alan

Clive

Postby Clive » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi Walter.. would it be possible to post some more images.. perhaps a few taken in natural light and at different angles.. one of the base of the feet would be helpful too.

wevege

Postby wevege » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks BAKU007 and Clive for helping me out. It being Tobosaku is certainly a good idea, the more that I think there may be an insert missing inside the flower. I join a few more images.
Walter.

wevege

Postby wevege » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:38 am

Obviously, the images didn't come with my message. Second try.
Walter
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”