netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Kosekiko and Choryo?

What subject or legend is depicted in your netsuke or sagemono?
jbjtennyo

Re: Kosekiko and Choryo?

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 am

From an anonymous interested party who has spent a lot of time understanding ivories and their attributes came this reminder.
The angle of the schreger lines is supposed to be measured close to the surface of the tusk, where the Schreger lines significantly spread out, and not at the core of the tusk. It appears that on both Alison's netsuke and Klaus's the piece was carved from the center of the tusk. In Alison's example the himotoshi is placed right over the nerve canal.
So I think we need to take a closer look at the schreger lines closest to the outer edge in order to make a better judgement. Also, remembering this rule of thumb in the future could be very helpful.
Thank you Anonymous Interested Party!
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:47 am

That party has just spoken my private thoughts. My feeling was that despite the angle evidence that the base anyway is elephant ivory. The whole okimono indeed may be made up of different pieces. A great composition, with so much 'nare' wear that I almost thought that there could be two used Netsuke fitted into the panorama. Thank you for showing this, Bakurae. (The photos were in the link)
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:49 am

Klaus, what a fine manju!
Piers

Size is something.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:49 am

This is really fascinating. I wasn't aware that the angle of the Schreger lines might be different at the core. Definitely something to keep in mind. I agree with Piers that the netsuke is very likely made up of two sections, but given the story and the relationship of the figures they were surely made to go together. Thanks, all.

For an early treatment of the Kosekiko/Choryo story, carved all from one piece, there's a nice example in the Werdelmann Collection in Dusseldorf:

https://emuseum.duesseldorf.de/view/obj ... d5-1cdbca7

Alison

Return to “Subjects & Legends in Japanese Art”