netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Amber Netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of Stones and Gems used in Netsuke
AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:24 am

Brian, the Bonhams lot with the "pressed red horn" went for a ridiculously low price. I'd have bought it just to check out the wood doctor's model (which are usually late manufacture and of ivory) and the vase of carved horn in the form of a cabbage with roosters carved into the front. Probably opened and closed with one bid as sometimes happens at the end of a sale. Unfortunately my patience was wearing thin and I had dinner plans so left about 5PM before the sale ended. I did buy some kiseruzutsu and yatate though that I'll try to post tomorrow if I can get some decent photos.
Alan

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi Clive.

Following with your very instructive explanations, I have the doubt that 90% of our Nets-ke pcs. are not in amber but who know in which materials...
Still, as an exemple of this real fascinating subjet I will appreciate so much,again , your expert opinion in order to try to distinguish what is what.
This snuff bottle in dark "amber" was bought by my grandfather in 1907 in Butan, and I'm glad to submit this photos to you.
Very much appreciate your attention.

Attachments
1268478_LUB_Coll_Snuff_Bottle_Amber_Butan_003.jpg
1268480_LUB_Coll_Snuff_Bottle_Amber_Butan_001.jpg
1268483_LUB_Coll_Snuff_Bottle_Amber_Butan_004.jpg
1268481_LUB_Coll_Snuff_Bottle_Amber_Butan_007.jpg
1268482_LUB_Coll_Snuff_Bottle_Amber_Butan_006.jpg
1268484_LUB_Coll_Snuff_Bottle_Amber_Butan_002.jpg
1268485_LUB_Coll_Snuff_Bottle_Amber_Butan_005.jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Clive

Postby Clive » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm afraid I cannot discern anything that informative from those pictures Luigi, perhaps if they were bigger.. but sometimes pictures simply don't give enough information. Hopefully one day we will meet and I can examine the piece in my hand.... from what I've seen so far yours is a exciting collection I'd very much like to handle.

Regards

Clive

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi to all friends.
This Goat in amber is my last LUB Coll. pc. I have in this material.
Unsigned, 4 cm L. several dark irregular small inclusions, maybe it is real amber.
Now is just wait for new discovers!...very welcome..

ImageImage
Attachments
1278666_LUB_Collection_Amber_Goat.jpg
1278667_LUB_Collection_Amber_Goat_(1).jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Not anywhere near Lub's quality, but it does have insteresting structure and color, no?

Amber Sleeping Hotei

Attachments
1269618_DSC_0393.JPG
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:17 pm

DSW90049 wrote:Not anywhere near Lub's quality, but it does have insteresting structure and color, no?

Amber Sleeping Hotei
David, tks for your Hotei...the netsuke collectors we have two components: one (the most important) the sentiment for such specific pc., two, the others things, material,quality, signature, pedigree etc etc...
if we achieve all that togheter we have perfection...but in life don't exist.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Clive...Hi, I saw your "green light"...

Just for amusement here I show my " Red ruby amber Buddha" in the Collection...I mentioned in one of my post...look like plastic, or bakelite, so perfect, but is not plastic nor bakelite...we make several tests, look at the scratchs in the base, hot needle, floating in the water,lighter fire in the basement surface ( It was not burned, nor smell of plastic)...in short, all this tests was positive...probably is not at all amber natural....so, now Clive you try to tell me what is...I will tell you later...(je je je)
Attachments
1273589_The_LUB_Coll._Amber_Buddhas_004.jpg
1273590_The_LUB_Coll._Amber_Buddhas_002.jpg
1273592_The_LUB_Coll._Amber_Buddhas_005.jpg
1273591_The_LUB_Coll._Amber_Buddhas_003.jpg

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Hmmm.. did you say it floated in water? Salted water?

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Clive wrote:
Hmmm.. did you say it floated in water? Salted water?

In my post 32 I mentioned that my dream about this Buddha sunk with the specific gravity, the others test were ok...a week ago I insisted wiith this test of gravity, then in a pan with 5 liters water, lot of salt, warm water, Buddha went to take a bath inside...last time went down, this time he went down again but NOT in contact with the base of the pan...just maybe 2 cm. floating from the bottom...any way for me this is not a original block of amber, (size is 12 cm L , 11 cm H, 11.5 cm W...) the fact is I bought from a cinese antique private home family and they told to my driver-translator "very old...grandfather of grandfather...from the water, from the tree...." Clive, just imagine this block in red amber?,...to museum...the real fact is the pc. is extremely old, you perceive in the touch and natural patina, our experience and feeling, then (because is not plastic or bakelite) the only speculation is that this material Copal and they put in the oven to change the color?...140 years ago or around?...I dont'know...I don't care the Happy Buddha is smiling any way...
In the post number 50 appear the red amber monkey carved by K.Masatsugu, which material is finally?...In your post 49 you mention and show to us pieces with pure dark surface amber from the Chiapas in Mexico...I show you here a small Buddha carved in Butan, in which external
thickness you perceive is practically the same of Chiapas pcs...Mexico, Butan, opposing sides of the world, but...
The amber subject Clive is endless, and practically between technology and
chemistry the most beautiful amber is no more amber.

ImageImage

Attachments
1273658_The_LUB_Coll._Amber_Buddhas_006.jpg
1273659_The_LUB_Coll._Amber_Buddhas_010.jpg
1273660_The_LUB_Coll._Amber_Buddhas_009.jpg
1273661_The_LUB_Coll._Amber_Buddhas_007.jpg

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Very interesting, Beautiful and fascinating pictures Lub.. 8-)

Return to “Stone / Gem”