netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Amber Netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of Stones and Gems used in Netsuke
DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:00 pm

OK, that shishi on a ball has enough dings on it that somebody could have thrown it down a flight of stairs!Image

Judy, that's a pretty one, but the more I have read and re-read this thread, the less I am sure that I would recognize good from bad in the world of amber as a material, especially if, as Clive has taught us, the color can be changed.

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:48 pm

Well, I don't know anything about amber- this is not as dark as some that are on this thread, so I don't think it is red amber, but maybe Clive would know.  It floats in salt water which is one of the tests mentioned--that is why I am showing the last two images-supposedly it wouldn't float if it weren't amber.  It has inlaid eyes and the himotoshi is correct - it is arched on the inside with one hole larger than the other.  It matches two old netsuke-even down to the style of the kanji on the seals--so I do believe it is an old one--as to the quality of the amber, I cannot say--I just wouldn't know that.  it is fairly clear though--I don't see bugs in it--just some darker areas.
Judy

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:10 am

This cicada on log, unisgned, red amber from Burma,( extinguished in 1955) or copal (some test I have made in favor of amber, some others for copal,- immature young amber - diffilcult as usual to be 100% sure as British Museum experience know...)

Origin: as informed by the former owner:
The netsuke came from the deceased estate of a very height ranking Australian who was taken prisoner at the fall of Singapore .He was known as “black jack” Gallaghan, and she was the head of the red cross in Australia . The family said the couple like to collect amber and mineral. all estate items are sold to go the Red Cross.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Attachments
1446151_The_LUB_Collection_008.jpg
1446152_The_LUB_Collection_001.jpg
1446153_The_LUB_Collection_002.jpg
1446154_The_LUB_Collection_003.jpg
1446155_The_LUB_Collection_004.jpg
1446156_The_LUB_Collection_005.jpg
1446157_The_LUB_Collection_006.jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Now that's an impressive Cicada there, Lub!
I'll bet that was a real project to carve amber into such a fine piece.Image

Thanks for sharing!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Return to “Stone / Gem”