netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

AMBER NETSUKE

Discussions, identification and analysis of Stones and Gems used in Netsuke
jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:11 pm

Yes, Vlad, I just purchased that one from Sachi in Miami. I was traveling north when I decided to purchase it and my sister's amber one -so that I would have the pair. Now I have both the amber and the hippo tooth. This one that you just posted is Sachi's from Midori Gallery, isn't it? Or is there another one still????
judy
Judy

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:18 pm

Yes, this is the one from Midori site. It's just that it is still posted there and Judy has never shown us hers...
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:22 pm

I am very confused now. The amber netsuke has been posted here since March. Tengu was kind enough to post images of Sachi's hippo tooth, but for some reason those images and his posts have been removed from this thread! Why? I don't understand. I am sure glad that I have my hard copy of it, as it is part of the research. I hate that it is lost to other readers now.[img:26maqxim]http://forums.netsuke.org/images/boards/smilies/confused.gif[/img:26maqxim] judy
Judy

valonline13

Postby valonline13 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Judy, I came across another Koma Inu image in NK Journal, Winter 1987. Is it the one you got from Sachi?
Attachments
800700_Koma_Inu_#03.jpg
Val

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:19 pm

The two pictures look quite different - wouldn't you say?
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:09 pm

They are definitely not the same netsuke. The one I bought from Sachi is hippo tooth, and this one is bone... I would love t o know what the seal on the bottom of the bone one says. Sachi says the amber and hippo have probably property seals, according to Chonchon's interpretation. It would be interesting to find this one as well. It certainly looks like the same carver did all three. And Sachi had said that it was interesting that the amber and hippo are both rarer material to be used for netsuke. Does the bone one fit into that same category? Is there an article about it or was it an auction piece? I would love to find a copy of that journal. Thanks for posting this, Vlad!
judy

Judy

Shugenja

Postby Shugenja » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Judy, do you know yet if the actual seals on the pieces you have are the same? Or similar?

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Not only the netsuke themselves, but the seals as well look to have been carved by the same hand, however they say different things. According to chonchon and a friend of his, the amber says Great King, and the hippo one says Owning Treasure (or bringing treasure to your satisfaction) When I told Sachi this, she said it sounded like they were property seals. I wonder if they all were owned as a set??? Perhaps we will never know! judy
Judy

valonline13

Postby valonline13 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:56 am

[quote:1pbjjzjg]Originally Posted by [B]jbarnewoltj[/B]
Is there an article about it or was it an auction piece? I would love to find a copy of that journal.[/quote:1pbjjzjg]
Judy, the article is - More Faces by Virginia G. Atchley, photos by Raymond Atchley. It just about different faces found in netsuke - not much text, nothing about this one...
Happy hunting!
Val

Shugenja

Postby Shugenja » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Judy, the bone carving similar to yours that Val found in the NK Journal is also published in the book: [i:1p3op20q]The Virginia Atchley Collection of Japanese Miniature Arts[/i:1p3op20q], by V. Atchley and N. Davey, 2006, Art Media Resources.

There as item N112, it says, "[b:1p3op20q]Head of Mythical Creature[/b:1p3op20q]. Bone, unsigned, 19th century. The head appears to be of a ram and is possibly derived from a Chinese archaic bronze implement." No mention of "seal" characters.

Do I understand from a picture you posted earlier that your amber figure seems to have been adapted for better use as a netsuke by having an additional, larger cord-hole drilled on one side of the neck? Or is the hole you show us simply going, more or less, straight thorugh the front of the neck?

Return to “Stone / Gem”