netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Stone Netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of Stones and Gems used in Netsuke
chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon May 18, 2015 3:16 pm

In the meantime, these are what came out of the drawer.

The ones on the left including the monkey and the Pi Xiu, are Chinese and modern.

Those on the right are Chinese and old, I believe, of varying degrees of antiquity from old to very, very old.
Image Image
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon May 18, 2015 3:26 pm

Thank you Alan, I will look that up, and see if I can find the book as well.
Piers, I love your Chinese toggles, especially the old ones! They are so nice. My friends pieces do not have the sense of wear that yours do, and I prefer yours.
Judy

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Mon May 18, 2015 3:58 pm

In fact Lady and Gent's....there are magnificent "chinese toggles" in jade and jadeite many of them very expensive...the animals are sometimes extraordinaires in shape and patina and look like perfect netsukes with natural himotoshi...probably the most famous netsuke collector who decided to carve netsukes in precious stones (animals) was Carl Fabergé...
Attachments
2315493_2lj2p2f.jpg
2315494_download.jpg
2315495_fabergesnail2.jpg
2315496_images.jpg
2315501_download_(1).jpg
2315502_download_(2).jpg
2315503_f2fafca8974b2714b2e79e229dbfb9bb.jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon May 18, 2015 4:03 pm

Wow. Thank you for the quality feedback, Lub.

Any more "Japanese" examples of stone Netsuke, anyone? :)

Piers

Size is something.

Tsunuki

Postby Tsunuki » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:56 am

Bump... Here's my stone netsuke collection (not including fossilized or organic stones, like amber, coral, or umoregi). I assume these are all some kind of agate.

Orange agate stone hyotan (gourd) netsuke. Himotoshi is a metal loop around the middle of the gourd. Unsigned. Measures 2 1/8" long, weighs 32g. A small chip is missing from the end of the gourd.
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Brown and grey agate stone Saru monkey mask netsuke. Himotoshi is a hole carved through the back (similar to other mennetsuke). Unsigned. Measures 2" long, weighs 44g. This was one of my earliest netsuke purchases, and at the time I thought it might be a cheap tourist piece, but I haven't seen anything similar since then which makes me think it might be the real deal. I like that there's a section of lighter colored stone on the top of his head, which makes it look like he is wearing a little hat or toupee.
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Square tile shaped agate netsuke. Himotoshi is a metal loop affixed on the back. Unsigned. Measures 2 3/8" long on each side, weighs 84g. Has a small chip missing from one corner. This one seems like an outsize, and I'd be more skeptical of it's authenticity if I hadn't gotten it from a decent auction house. That said, I still do have some worries about netsuke like this where the himotoshi is just a metal loop that could reasonably be attached to just about anything (this same concern applies to most gourd netsuke and "found object" netsuke).
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Black agate stone peach netsuke. Himotoshi are two holes carved in the back. Unsigned. Measures 1 7/8" long, weighs 67g. Unlike the monkey mask, these stone peaches do seem to be fairly common, which makes me think they could be Chinese toggles.
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Green agate stone hyotan (gourd) netsuke. Himotoshi is a metal loop around the middle of the gourd. Unsigned. Measures 3 1/4" long, weighs 70g. It appears that the end of this gourd was broken off at some point and repaired by covering it with a small patch of metal. At some point I'd like to fix this one up with a better looking end cap.
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Ryan Snooks

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:59 am

Most unusual. Incredible collection, Ryan. Thanks for posting!

The top one looks like carnelian, a type of agate, I believe. The metal attachment on the square 'tile' of agate certainly looks the part.
Piers

Size is something.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:35 pm

In the category of stones I include this rock chrystal (quartz) eagle carved in the 50's.,
unsigned....Hardness Rockwell B = 7

Quartz is the second-most-abundant mineral in Earth's continental crust, after feldspar. Its crystal structure is a continuous framework of SiO4 silicon–oxygen tetrahedra, with each oxygen being shared between two tetrahedra, giving an overall chemical formula of SiO2.

There are many different varieties of quartz, several of which are semi-precious gemstones. Since antiquity, varieties of quartz have been the most commonly used minerals in the making of jewelry and hardstone carvings, especially in Europe and the Middle East.

Pure quartz, traditionally called rock crystal or clear quartz, is colorless and transparent or translucent, and has often been used for hardstone carvings, such as the Lothair Crystal. Common colored varieties include citrine, rose quartz, amethyst, smoky quartz, milky quartz, and others.

Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Ryan, I also think the peach is a Chinese toggle. The tile seems somewhat unlikely since it is square and should make a better netsuke if it had been octagonal, etc? But who's to say.

Luigi, how did you find you rock crystal carving was made in th 50s?
Alan

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Alan, I bought middle of 80's from old collector in Singapure he told me he bought in 1955 in Tokyo ,so... Or carved beginning of 50's or before?... Netsuke mistery except one thing: quartz have million and million years Greek has used, in antique Chinese graves found arrowheads ...further analysis we must observe in the carving, probably with electric tools, (hardness 7)...unusual piece as netsuke except if carved in China?...we never know...one thing is sure, this piece is very very very "old" like the other Netsukes in stone as row material, carve and carver is a different subject ...I like any way...

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:59 pm

Perhaps I'm wrong about the square shape of the agate piece Ryan shows with a metal loop attachment. Piers displayed one on May 17, 2015 that was also square but with each corner was a bit flattened, in essence making it an octagon but with 4 very long sides and 4 very short sides. It also had a mekugi peg rather than a metal ring.
Alan

Return to “Stone / Gem”