netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Porcelain/Ceramic Netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of Ceramics
jbjtennyo

Re: Porcelain/Ceramic Netsuke

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:57 am

Jill, Taking another look at all the images of your gourd, it seems to be very thick porcelain, even the leaves seem thick. I am wondering if it was hand shaped, and not molded at all. The holes would have been hollowed out while it was in green ware form after the shape had partially dried perhaps. Just a thought, but if that is the case, it might be totally unique with no other similar ones made. I would try to peer inside the himotoshi and see how solid the porcelain is inside there, and if the himotoshi is the only hollow spot. Just a thought, as I said.

I also agree regarding the fingerprint-- these things are so small, it is not surprising that a fingerprint might be found in the glaze. It also might have been imbedded in the slip as it dried, and then the glaze followed the indentures in the fired slip. A nice human touch!
Judy

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:18 am

Well, I just went peaking around and found this piece on Pintrest. No additional information though. The shape is somewhat similar, but that seems to be a gecko on it, and no images of the other side. I doubt they are related. But if they are related, it would make me believe even more that these were hand shaped with variations on a theme.
Attachments
images.jpeg
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

Tama

Postby Tama » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:31 am

Very interesting Judy. I found that on pinterest too, it says it's from the Toledo museum, I looked through my pics of my visit there and I do not have this one. I thought that could have been the vine, but it does look like a gecko, it's hard for me to tell the pic is so small.

My gourd is solid, just hollow around the himotoshi, good spot! It's heavy for such a small netsuke. I have a white toad that is solid as well.
Last edited by Tama on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:50 am

Marvelous toad! Reminds me of the Mitsuhiro hare netsuke in the Metropolitan Museum of Art!
http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/59689

Alison

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:27 am

The toad is such a simple composition, and charming. I am really wondering if these solid porcelain pieces were hand formed. With only the himotoshi hollowed out, it leads me to believe that they were not molded. I would sure like to know others opinions.
With the special help of Max Rutherston, I was able to bring these two porcelain pieces together again. From the Arlette Katchen collection, I purchased the karako about a year or so ago, but the inro was not available at that time. So playing the waiting game, I finally added the inro to my collection just a couple of weeks ago. They are darling together.
The information that Max gave me identifies the design on the inro as stylized snowflakes. Speaking with Jill the other day, we were wondering if there are any other thoughts as to what they might be if not snowflakes. Jill suggested perhaps they were rice cakes, or some kind of food that would be eaten during the shishi mai...Jill then suggested perhaps radish slices..
I am wondering if there is some kind of documentation that was written down telling what the design was, or if snow flakes was also an educated guess of sorts. I do recall that Piers showed a similar shape in one of his posts, but I can't remember what it was. I am now wondering if they might be related, or if whatever Piers has might offer a hint as to what the shape is.
This inro and netsuke are said to be early 19C. I have another karako that I found in Paris, and purchased him as well--The second image below shows "my two boys" together!.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_2358-1.jpg
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Judy

maric

Postby maric » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:56 am

Judy
Your "son" with the shishi mask in front of him can also be found in the British Museum's collection and was exhibited in their last exhibition entitled "Netsuke- 100 minature masterpieces from Japan". What a find!!! Well done.
Wes

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:48 am

Hi Judy,

Your boys are really nice. The inro and the boy - lovely !

Just in case you don't have the British Museum book of Noriko Tsuchiya...

IMG_3720.JPG
Alex

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:06 am

Yes, Judy, I agree with Max regarding the snowflake, which was a family Mon.
Piers

Size is something.

RoyT

Postby RoyT » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:59 am

Hi all,

Coming from Norway I would like to disagree with the snowflake interpretation :)
As they are said to be stylized snowflake they might be, but all snowflakes ever studied (prior to melting) have 6 branches and these have 8 :D
Regards Roy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:26 am

Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Ceramic”