netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Ceramic netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of Ceramics
Bakurae

Re: Ceramic netsuke

Postby Bakurae » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:32 am

Good ones indeed, Jill. The karako's head is marvelously lively with his toothy grin. As for the lucky gent, you probably know he has what looks to be a close relative, a "Chinese literati on engraved seal base," in the Silverman collection at the Toledo Museum of Art. Here's a link:

http://classes.toledomuseum.org:8080/em ... f0a5f53a66

It's a pleasure to see those!

Alison

Tama

Postby Tama » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 am

Thanks Judy and Alison, I never did buy the brush rest. I liked it very much, but the price was higher than I am willing to pay. The Chinese Liertati came in a lot of one other ceramic and a metal mask and an agate monkey. Maybe the agate piece could be posted in the flush! I should take pictures of it and get a good look at the monkey. Still playing with the new camera, starting to get the hang of it!!!
Last edited by Tama on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:20 am

What is the size Jill? Nice!
Alan

Tama

Postby Tama » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:06 am

Alan, the Chinese Literati is 4.5cm, 3cm at the base.
Last edited by Tama on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tama

Postby Tama » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:13 pm

Looking through AIC, I found another ceramic by Ninsei of a shishimai. I can really see similarities in the colors, style and workmanship. The shshimai made by Ninsei is the first one with the reddish colored shishi mask.
Last edited by Tama on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Ninsei was good! The shishimai design must have been popular--I saw a number of them at the Toledo Museum, each one different.

I promised Jill a long time ago I would post some photos of the blue rat that some of you may have seen in Baltimore. Comparisons with ceramic netsuke in Toledo suggest it's Hirado, mid-19th century. Here we go, I hope they work:

blue rat mv 1.jpg

blue rat pr rings.jpg

blue rat underside.jpg

blue rat pl side.jpg

blue rat feet & himotoshi.jpg

Alison

Tama

Postby Tama » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:17 pm

I love your little blue rat! I am thinking perhaps Kyoto ware. Only because I have found Hirado to have all around glaze, top and bottom. Mind you, I am speaking from my limited experience.

I found the seal you had mentioned. Very similar to my Chinese Literati. Their hand positions are different as well as their mouths. I would love to get a look at the back of Silverman's seal, mine has the makers mark on the back of the base.
Last edited by Tama on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Jill advises me that the link I posted to the porcelain netsuke in the Toledo Museum doesn't work. In case anyone would like to pursue it, if you go to http://www.toledomuseum.org/collection/ and then "Browse the collection" and type in 2009.220 in the search box, you should get the images and information on the cousin to her Chinese gent. In the meantime, though, she has provided the equivalent from "Adornment in Clay"

Jill, you could well be right about Kyoto. I suggested Hirado because that's where AIC lists this blue mask in the Silverman collection in Toledo, whose glaze struck me as similar. Anyhow, thanks for the good words about the rat (I'm year thereof, and am enjoying his company).

Toledo mask.jpg

Alison

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Alison, that is a precious rat! Really like him. I would not have been able to pass him up either. I have also seen a ceramic ox and horse at different times, but never where I could own them. Thanks for sharing your rat...!
Judy

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:20 pm

Jill and Alison, thank you for reviving this thread ; we have to admit that this niche remains underestimated.
Alison, I would be happy to own this little rat !
Recently, this recumbent shishi on a large tama came up on auction and I was (almost) tempted to bid on it.
There is a striking difference in colour between the picture on the auction website and the ones we received upon request.
ceramic.jpg
Jan

Return to “Ceramic”