netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Ceramic netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of Ceramics
AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:44 am

I'm afraid I'm still not convinced it is a netsuke. My question of "how many more bananas" was not meant to suggest it was worth a lot more than the sale price. Since several people, apparently including Richie, think it is a netsuke I guess you can place it in your cabinet and declare it as such. But I don't understand all the ruckus over this item. Having critical discussion here is what the Forum is about. No need to get feathers ruffled when someone has an alternate opinion.
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:00 am

Some have said the gourd holding down the earthquake fish is symbolic of the saying "that's about as easy as holding an earthquake fish down with a gourd" ( Pretty difficult since earthquake fish are on the bottom and gourds float)
Regarding the name, I don't know who is correct-- my point being only that it doesn't matter who makes a claim-- someone is going to question it along the way.
For me, since RS has one similar that he was comfortable calling a netsuke, I would think Jill's is also--just a teacup netsuke instead of a sake netsuke.

Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:59 am

Sorry to be a little late to the party.

Just to clarify, I never suggested it was not a Netsuke, only that the motif is not a sake cup, or even a tea cup. If you ask me who I would trust in this matter, I would put my J wife over RS.

The size of the handle is not the issue, as I cannot get even the tip of my little finger into the loop of my proper-sized one anyway. Yu-samashi means hot-water cooler. Japanese tea is generally made with hot water that has come off the boil and is cooled to a still hot 70 degrees, allowing the delicate flavors to survive. The reason for a handle is to hold and move the vessel when it is too hot, as with Western cups. When the temperature has dropped to the right temperature, the still hottish water is added to the tiny teapot, requiring a handle for lifting. Neither sake cups nor Sencha tea cups normally have handles, or pouring pinches.

I have no issue with you Jill, and I know we all love having you here, and I genuinely respect your enthusiasm and study, but I do disagree with Richard here on the motif. And to repeat, it is a sweet object to my eye.
Piers

Size is something.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:49 am

Alan... Having critical discussion here is what the Forum is about. No need to get feathers ruffled when someone has an alternate opinion.

When there is alternate opinion and all of them with respect , and always at hypothesis level because in netsuke never no any certainty as we know, we try to find answers and clarity, at the end we need to choice which one of the opinions we assume and to who to believe for his experience...RS is a legend in this specific branch and yes no owner of truth but till the moment we have reliable and indisputable documentation might prove the contrary his opinion prevail...and in case obviously we are ready chenge mind and accept the evidence of documents.
At certain moment in my phantasy fantasy I also thought it was a toy, something like part of a Dollhouse but then too fragile...

Where is the final answer?

8-)
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Clive

Postby Clive » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:22 am

I was recently given this wonderful contemporary ceramic netsuke on my birthday.. a bit big for a functional netsuke perhaps but clearly one that fits my sumo proportions.

;)

Attachments
2474630_20151017_0008.JPG

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:28 am

Attachments
2474634_lkju.gif
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Tama

Postby Tama » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:44 am

x
Last edited by Tama on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onimh

Postby onimh » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Clive wrote:I was recently given this wonderful contemporary ceramic netsuke on my birthday.. a bit big for a functional netsuke perhaps but clearly one that fits my sumo proportions.

;)

At least the age won't be disputed on this netsuke~congratulations!

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Clive
'I was recently given this wonderful contemporary ceramic netsuke on my birthday.. a bit big for a functional netsuke perhaps but clearly one that fits my sumo proportions.'

Perfect for the tea ceremony Clive!
As regards the beer ceremony I recall empty a glass tankard dangling from many a beer belly at Cambridge Folk Festivals somewhat like sumo wrestlers netsuke!

John 

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:32 pm

Joining the parody party;)

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Return to “Ceramic”