netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Ceramic netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of Ceramics
fkc

Postby fkc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:07 am

I wonder if people have come across this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6demGQkQZE
Freda http://fiedesigns.blogspot.com/

JimLewis

Postby JimLewis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Very nice. I have one ceramic netsuke. I thought they were very uncommon, but apparently not.

Thanks for posting.
Jim Lewis - lewisjk@alltel.net - Western NC - [font=8]People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician[/font]

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:29 am

A very nice video and a well priced book on the collection is available.
SC, I'm not really sure how common ceramic netsuke were but I suspect they are poorly represented in most Western collections. The early collectors were likely more smitten by the many Asian ceramics available that made nice displays and stuck to the ivory and wood netsuke for the most part. If anyone knows about the prevalence of ceramic netsuke I'd like to hear from you.
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:24 am

Well-made video and good commentary, with some lovely examples. There were of course other big potteries besides the ones shown in the video.

They are rare, certainly after hundreds of years of breakages, so it is surprising that he has managed to collect so many. I only have four in my collection, which shows that they do not come up so often in the field.
Piers

Size is something.

Suzume

Postby Suzume » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:53 am

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit the Toledo Museum of Art earlier this year while on a trip to South Bend (actually had to drive a hundred miles or so out of my way to do it, but hey, netsuke obsession knows no bounds).

The Silverman ceramic netsuke remain on display, tho they've been moved to drawers so only the front can be seen. It's quite an amazing assortment that really raised my opinion of ceramic netsuke as a genre. The museum also has a significant collection of ivory/wood netsuke, a lovely selection of inro, and a small but tasteful display of a range of Asian artworks. In addition they have an extensive art library stuffed with netsuke books and catalogs, many also donated by Richard Silverman, I believe. The only negative came in the bookshop, where the only netsuke book for sale other than their own catalogs was (ack!) Netsuke by Mircea Veleanu.

In fact the collections of the whole museum are strong, quite an achievement for a mid-sized city, considering they survey the entire history of art. Oh, and can't forget The Glass Pavillion, their other specialty (full of works of -- you guessed it -- glass).

So if you are anywhere in the vicinity, it's definitely worth a detour to spend a day at the Toledo Museum of Art.
Suzume

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:05 am

The Silvermann Coll. is superb, one life of passion and devotion, ceramic
netsuke as well metal netsuke are the poorest in the big fmily of the superbs
masterworks in wood ivory or precious materials, but nevertheless you perceive in the expressions and actitudes of the pcs. a lot of artistic inspiration from the artists..yes, they are rare to find in the big and famous
rooms of auctions, but they are important to have in any collection...

ImageImageImageImage
Attachments
1398832_The_LUB_Collection_Netsukes_Manju_003.jpg
1398833_The_LUB_Collection_206.jpg
1398834_The_LUB_Collection_208.jpg
1398835_Masks_Noh_016.jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:43 pm

Sue, I'm shocked to hear the Toledo museum has only the Veleanu netsuke book which has been condemned by knowledgeable collectors. Norman Stanfield donated his extensive library to the museum and it was he who wrote the scathing review of that book in our Journal. I'll let him know so perhaps he can guide them to other useful texts to carry in the bookstore.
Alan

Suzume

Postby Suzume » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:27 pm

Alan-
I actually complained to the gift shop manager when I was there and basically she said, "well, that's what the distributor sends us so that's what we have". So maybe you can make a difference by talking to Norman. And apologies if I misattributed the source of the netsuke materials in the library!
Suzume

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Lub posted his (thank you!) so here come mine! :D

ImageImageImageImageImage
Attachments
1399383_RIMG3781.JPG
1399386_RIMG3242.JPG
1399387_RIMG2579.JPG
1399388_RIMG3767.JPG
1399389_RIMG3768.JPG
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Sue, I'm really glad you brought the bad book selection to our attention. The problem is being quickly resolved by the very receptive staff at the Toledo Museum of Art. I have received messages from two of their staff just today. This change was facilitated by Norman Sandfield.
Norman also asked me to relay a message that he is currently traveling abroad and his own website IT gurus are working to get the Netsuke Archive link working again. They are having some technical issues with the hosting but hope to restore the Archive for our viewing pleasure and research in the near future (sounds a bit like our attempts to obtain a better platform for this Forum).
Alan

Return to “Ceramic”