netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Ceramic netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of Ceramics
Tsunuki

Re: Ceramic netsuke

Postby Tsunuki » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:37 am

Piers - I'm glad I posted something relevant to your locale, I guess I got pretty lucky. I'd like to visit Bizen eventually. I stayed in Okayama on a past trip, but that was before I was interested enough in ceramics to think of visiting any kilns or museums. Anyways, feel free to share the photographs if they'd be interested. And here's most of the rest of my Bizen ceramics collection (minus a cup I'd forgotten I had tucked away, and I'm pretty sure the other two netsuke aren't Bizen-ware):
1IMG_3667.JPG

Judy - I'm glad you enjoyed them! I'm really pleased to have found the Tengu, as I haven't seen another like it and at the time it was my only Tengu-no-Tamago netsuke. Plus, I really like Yokai netsuke. The rattling bit inside it looks to be a little bit of earth and straw, so it's either some excess clay from the himotoshi like you suggested or maybe just some mud that got stuck inside. I could probably get it out, but it adds some character.

John - Thanks! I guess the correct description should be "A Bizen-ware ceramic netsuke of an ''Oharahame'' woman''!

Speaking of Daruma ceramic netsuke being common, I thought I had another Bizen netsuke somewhere, and I found a second seated Daruma. It's about 95% the same as the other Daruma, the biggest difference being the himotoshi are up-and-down instead of side-to-side.
IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG
Ryan Snooks

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:55 am

Ryan, I mentioned this thread to my wife and she said: 大原女 (Ohara + me), = Oharame... :D
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks Piers - embedded your link so it's not missed :)

phpBB [media]
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:14 pm

Many thanks Martyn!
Piers

Size is something.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 am

I promised Judy I would post some more photos my ceramic dog (Happy New Year, by the way), acquired as "Hirado, 19th century (?)". Here they are, followed by two from the Silverman collection at the Toledo Museum of Art that seemed related: a seated cat called Hirado late 19th century, and a monkey on a rock described as Hirado mid 19th century. The hairwork on the monkey looks especially similar, though it isn't so clear in the photo--there's a hypnotic, streaming quality. I'm guessing that in each case it's a molded object that got some good handwork before firing, and glaze to enhance it.
Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 14.25.24.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 14.24.48.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 14.25.08.png

20180210_201231.jpg
20160111_115055.jpg
20160111_115447.jpg
Last edited by Oishii on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: we rotated the pictures ... Nice ceramic puppy, Alison

Alison

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:35 am

Thank you Alison. I really love your little puppy. And yes, I also am certain that the molded puppy is smooth, and the hair detail, and possibly even detail around the eyes and mouth are added individually, Unique to each molding. That makes yours very special. This puppy has his own personality and charm, and his hair detail has been meticulously placed. Thanks for sharing him. I also like the monkey very much!
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:47 am

There is something especially sweet about these little ceramic Netsuke animals. 'Hypnotic, streaming' are good words.
Piers

Size is something.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks, Judy and Piers. I wish you some time in Toledo. Sorry about the sideways photos--they are all right side up in my image bank, and I'm never sure why some will turn up with the wrong orientation in a post.
I'll add one more relevant example from Toledo; this one, though similar to the previously posted examples, is called Imari late 19th century rather than Hirado in the "Adornment in Clay" catalogue--perhaps because of the more colorful glaze?
20160111_115326.jpg

Alison

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Alisin, I've also had rotated image problems when posting from my Android phone. Now for anything I want to post I rotate the image 90 degrees and save it in an incorrect orientation, then reopen and rotate it on around 270 degrees to look normal and save the new image. Using that one solves the problem. Just a bit of extra work and time to do it.
Alan

Return to “Ceramic”