netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Ceramic netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of Ceramics
Tsunuki

Re: Ceramic netsuke

Postby Tsunuki » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:37 am

Piers - I'm glad I posted something relevant to your locale, I guess I got pretty lucky. I'd like to visit Bizen eventually. I stayed in Okayama on a past trip, but that was before I was interested enough in ceramics to think of visiting any kilns or museums. Anyways, feel free to share the photographs if they'd be interested. And here's most of the rest of my Bizen ceramics collection (minus a cup I'd forgotten I had tucked away, and I'm pretty sure the other two netsuke aren't Bizen-ware):
1IMG_3667.JPG

Judy - I'm glad you enjoyed them! I'm really pleased to have found the Tengu, as I haven't seen another like it and at the time it was my only Tengu-no-Tamago netsuke. Plus, I really like Yokai netsuke. The rattling bit inside it looks to be a little bit of earth and straw, so it's either some excess clay from the himotoshi like you suggested or maybe just some mud that got stuck inside. I could probably get it out, but it adds some character.

John - Thanks! I guess the correct description should be "A Bizen-ware ceramic netsuke of an ''Oharahame'' woman''!

Speaking of Daruma ceramic netsuke being common, I thought I had another Bizen netsuke somewhere, and I found a second seated Daruma. It's about 95% the same as the other Daruma, the biggest difference being the himotoshi are up-and-down instead of side-to-side.
IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG
Ryan

chonchon

Re: Ceramic netsuke

Postby chonchon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:55 am

Ryan, I mentioned this thread to my wife and she said: 大原女 (Ohara + me), = Oharame... :D
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Ceramic”