netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Porcelain/Ceramic Netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of Ceramics
Tama

Re: Porcelain/Ceramic Netsuke

Postby Tama » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:40 am

I am wondering if the karako shishi mai were molded in pieces. I see that Judy's karako has his head turned to his left and slightly upturned, whereas the BM Karako is looking straight on. Bart had told me there is a museum in the Netherlands that has many of the molds used to make the porcelain/ceramic netsuke. I would love to get there and see them, I wonder if a handling session could be obtained?

Judy, I adore both your porcelain boys. I feel they are masterpieces in porcelain. The inro is truly beautiful, the pattern and glazing are pretty much perfect. Congratulations! Patience is a virtue!

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:00 pm

Yes, Jill that is true that patience is a virtue. I have prayed for it often--my prayer is "God grant me patience---but hurry up!!! LOL
When I received the karako a year ago, I knew right away that the head must have been molded separately as it is turned in a different manner than the illustrated one. I really like mine better with his head turned--it adds to his personality and has a sense of expectance about it. I really love him. I love that he is partially glazed and partially in bisque, and the colors are more subtle.
I do have the book he is illustrated in. Thank you. When I bought mine, I sent an image to Max with mine laid on top of this page, so that Max could see how different the heads had been set into place. Also the shishi on mine does have underglazes of color but is not glazed.
Piers, thank you for reminding us that the shape is a mon. That helps in understanding it. Do you think then that this inro might have been made for a family with that mon? Or is it just a coincidence?
Thank you for all the comments. I am very pleased to have something so fine in porcelain.
Below is an image of one that I would love to add to my porcelain pieces, but I only know of one out there. It is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I doubt they will sell it to me! :oops:
Also below is an image I sent to Max to show my karako laying on top of the illustration in the book. It is an interesting comparison.
Attachments
62c96d3160f957a2114561c066696721.jpg
IMG_2051.jpg
Last edited by jbjtennyo on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:09 pm

So close! Interesting how different are the noses on the Shishi heads.
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:41 pm

Good eye, Piers! The illustrated one has more of a pig nose, and mine a more human nose. I had not even noticed that, concentrating instead on the underglaze on my shishi while the illustrated one is in bisque with no color. Neither has the final glaze. Also the karako illustrated as no glaze on the boy's face either, while mine does.
Judy

Tama

Postby Tama » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 am

There were more than one mold for ceramic netsuke. After Piers pointed out the differences in the shishi faces, I feel that these are molded in one piece, but from two different molds. See the pair of Wahai Fukurokuju, these are the same netsuke from different molds.
Last edited by Tama on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Back from my Disney nightma... adventure :lol:

Love this thread. Great examples all round!

Rob - in case you didn't know, that porcelain dragon is Katchen provenance.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks Martyn, Max kindly sent me the info of the lots I got in that auction.

Still think about the Ashinaga-tenaga that got away that day, should have gone a couple more bids on it!

Untitled.png

Tsunuki

Postby Tsunuki » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:50 am

I recently picked up this unglazed, molded ceramic Daikoku (or Ebisu?) netsuke. It measures 1.6" tall. I have almost no idea on the kiln; maybe Edo ware? It's somewhat similar to the ceramic tanuki I have as my avatar. I'm posting it now because it's a close match in design to a wood seal netsuke that Matt (onimh) got from the Tremont auction, posted here: http://forums.netsuke.org/viewtopic.php?f=494799&t=8079773&start=10#p72798.
IMG_2571.JPG
IMG_2573.JPG
IMG_2574.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2578.JPG
IMG_2579.JPG
Last edited by Tsunuki on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:22 am

Extraordinary! And the writing is clearer on this one, changing some of what I thought I saw before.

He is standing on an upturned ‘masu’ rice measure.
Last edited by chonchon on Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piers

Size is something.

onimh

Postby onimh » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 am

That's GREAT!!!
Thank you for posting it.
I've yet to compare the inscriptions but if they are essentially the same it would imply to me that it's some sort of Japanese saying.
Something to look in to.
I don't suppose you've ever translated it?
If you ever decide to sell or trade it, please send me a PM.
Thank you.
MH
Last edited by onimh on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ceramic”