netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Solid Silver Netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of Metals used in Netsuke, predominately Kagamibuta composition.
OldKappa

Postby OldKappa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:26 pm

For all metal netsuke lovers there will be several very nice ones for sale at Moss and at least one superb one at Bonhams in November.

Izzy

Postby Izzy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Thank you Old Kappa..

ARRRHHH.

We clearly have a netsuke from the same cast. Every little casting mark is the identical. You have raised a very good point. I purchased it from a Japanese and Chinese dealer in London and took his word that it was. I have since studied my netsuke under natural daylight and can see yellowish tinge coming through on the smoother surfaces. I will be in touch with the dealer as it is obviously not solid silver therefore does not reflect the price I paid nor the representation it was sold to me.

Thanks for all your pictures and advice.

Izzy

Postby Izzy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Oldkappa,

Do you know a rough age for yours?

Izzy

OldKappa

Postby OldKappa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:42 pm

They are not antiques but I don't really know their age.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanking all who posted and shared these great metal netsuke with us.

I also particularly love Lub's recently acquired Hotei!
& Tengu's netsuke are also always superb.

A whole area that one could simply miss, or completely overlook, but which is so well depicted here!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:39 am

And no CITES permits required for metal netsuke brought from London back to the US (and California in particular) unless maybe it's made of element #119 on the Periodic Table.
Alan

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 am

DSW90049 wrote:Thanking all who posted and shared these great metal netsuke with us. I also particularly love Lub's recently acquired Hotei! & Tengu's netsuke are also always superb. A whole area that one could simply miss, or completely overlook, but which is so well depicted here!

David, this wonderful forum is the only place where there is always the chance to exchange the amount of experience and see Netsukes of all of us ... it's not possible to have all, and can not preserve everything forever, then the forum becomes a kind of living museum where we can all see and learn and appreciate and better understand this great little universe ... and is a great pleasure to be able to do ...
Izzy .. with a bit of experience you'll immediately see the difference between metal common alloys and pure silver, but less noble metals can become high expression of art netsuke though hardly used ... good luck in the next!
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Izzy

Postby Izzy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:45 pm

No... A BIG thank you to you all for sharing your knowledge and pics. I successfully got a refund as my netsuke proved not to be solid silver and this came about through this forum esp Old Kappa's entries. I had a near miss in losing a lot of money. I think I will stay away from metal for now!!!

I shall continue to read this forum and try to learn about porcelain and try to get one that has genuine age to compliment my wood and ivory neysukes.

Thank you all

Helen

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Izzy go to the dealer section. Just saw a couple of very reasonable price ceramic netsuke on LG Asian Antiques
Nec spe nec metu

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:19 am

Probably some sort of acid resist and etch process.

SC

Return to “Metals”