netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Minimal wear in wood pieces of Edo period ?

Discussions, identification and analysis of the vast range of woods used in Netsuke
Clive

Re: Minimal wear in wood pieces of Edo period ?

Postby Clive » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:52 pm

My missus is always telling me that I'm far too lively when I'm "sleeping" ;)

KPR

Postby KPR » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:59 pm

AFNetsuke wrote:I must disagree. A sleeping person (and presumably Mermaid) looks very different than a dead one. I think I understand what Alain meant by "lacking life".

I have never seen a dead Mermaid or Shojo. :(
A seated Shojo can sleep, if she dies she falls over.
Last edited by KPR on Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klaus

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:12 pm

I don't know for sure, but the perception of the facial features on a shojo may have little to do with the facial features, rather the degree of detail in the face as apposed to the rest of the carving. The Shojo is always shown in wonderful poses, and the clothing with great and elaborate detail, while the face is rather simply put, and partially hidden - not displaying the degree of detail or expression as the rest of the netsuke- Just an observation--I always enjoy the Shojo, and their many charming poses. But their sleeping face have very little to do with their charm and elegance.
Judy

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Clive - :lol: I have to agree with your missus--not that I know how lively you are when you sleep, but my Mister comes to life then too!! :roll:
Judy

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:12 am

I mistakenly wrote Mermaid when I meant Shojo. Either way, dead doesn't look like asleep. And I've never seen either of those dead, just people. Assuming body position and face would have similar characteristics. And I've seen people die sitting up, a bit slumped like a Shojo. If you haven't, I'm happy for you. Ever see a nurse or aide try to wake up a dead person for breakfast or medical student start CPR on a dead guy...guess you now know where my disagree statement came from.
Alan

KPR

Postby KPR » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:46 am

A group of 6 Tadatoshi Shojos.
I like the long hair and beautiful clothes.
I also like the facial expressions. Half asleep with satisfied beautiful thoughts.
R0014798-001.JPG

22222.jpg
Klaus

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:48 am

Wow. That is brilliant. At first glance much alike, but as one looks more closely it's amazing how different they are. That is a really instructive and throught-provoking post.

Alison

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Klaus, I love all your sleeping Shojos, and although I might understand what Alain was referring to, (there is a difference between lifeless and dead - lifeless referring to lack of movement more than coded!), I have to say I always love these guys! My favorites of those pictured, Klaus are in the front row--the one to the left is exactly how my mom curled up on a large lounge chair for a nap, her chin propped sweetly on an open hand, the other in the one to the far right-- just love the pose! Thanks for sharing your extreme collection of Shojo! Save some for the rest of us though, won't you!!
Judy

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:59 pm

Klaus, that is one magnificent group of sleeping shojo's!
Extraordinary, five stars!!!

Alan, I fully yield to your defense of Alain's comment, in view of your medical expertise and experience.
We lawyers only see dead wallets, rarely dead humans . . .
Given that dead people look different from sleeping people, I guess the next question is whether seriously drunk people, like these wonderful shojo's, who have passed out from the effects of alcohol, look differently than somebody who merely is sleeping? :roll:
And, if you talk a lot in your sleep, are you really sleeping while talking, or talking while sleeping?

And, if tin whistles are made of tin . . .
what do they make fog horns out of??

(if that one passed you by, ask somebody older to explain it to you)

Returning to netsuke, I would be proud to own any of Klaus' magnificent assortment of sleeping shojo's!
I continue my hunt for the one to ultimately join my collection - perfectly carved hair is one of the pre-requisites for me.
Teddy Hahn had a number of wonderful versions among his pieces exhibited with many others at the Japanese Embassy in London during the 2013 INS Convention, and which you can see and enjoy in Rosemary's B's fine book!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:13 pm

I am voting for the best hair on Klaus's group of Shojo--
The Shojo having the best hair day is the front row Shojo on the right! Finely carved, nicely draping over her shoulder, it is a lovely "DO" that falls Just Right!
Judy

Return to “Wood”