netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Bamboo

Discussions, identification and analysis of the vast range of woods used in Netsuke
souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:23 pm

Clive wrote:Good man Klaus.. a few rounds of those will do very nicely... I getting old and my stamina isn't what it used to be.

Lol ... I see what you mean Clive.. where are the bikini clad women in that photo?

Klaus - I got HB blood... bring on the trumpets! You'll recognise the HB house here I'm sure... And yes.. an INS exclusive - Souldeep wears those Bavarian lederhosen damn good innit! Must say - I've always found the Bavarian women most accommodating. I raise a stein and call Prost!

Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:34 am

Well well well....another face of the NetsukeWorld in Bavarian "hosen"...:D
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:26 pm

Twenty-three hours later and I still have not thought of anything pithy to say, Martyn...so can we just trade places?
Alan

Tama

Postby Tama » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:48 pm

Alan, I wonder how you would look with long blond hair??!!

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:39 am

Or even sporting lederhosen.......................?

John 

Tengu

Postby Tengu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:31 pm

The perfect Bavarian lederhosen can not buy, that can only inherit. A decades-old family piece it had to be, at best one in which his grandfather has hunted the deers.
Many decades old and never washed, this makes the right patina! :D

The Charivari is a silver chain attached to the various trinkets. It is mounted in front of the codpiece of lederhosen. - Depending on your taste and purse - silver coins, animal teeth, crystals and the like. Even animal paws were once common. All pieces are mounted in silver and attached to the chain.

Formerly were not allowed to buy the pendant - one had to earn. Either in the hunt, in the fight with the neighboring village or even sometimes in a love affair. The Charivaris inherited in families and being maintained.

Old pieces can have a value in the five-figure euro range.

Charivari are Bavarian Sagemono

Attachments
2379975_1562188099-charivari-lederhose-QK6a.jpg

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:39 pm

& here I thought netsuke & sagemono were complicated!!!!!!Image

Here's the American equivalent (a poor imitation):

But, seriously, Klaus, those are absolutely INCREDIBLE! I've seen nothing remotely like it . . . . . are there auctions or do they sell privately only?!?!?
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:01 pm

IPhone

So, considering the "overture" of the Bavarian lederhosen "Jesuschrist" Mod. Here the Swiss Geisha with Contemporary Tonkotsu, and heavy bronze Netsukes Bells of Swiss Farmers.... The Geisha? Sorry, she is not accommodating...
Attachments
2380211_image.jpg
2380212_image.jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Tengu

Postby Tengu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:31 pm

David, in local auction houses is mostly a showcase with old Charivari and healthy prices.

These are mostly new copies:

https://www.google.de/search?q=Charivari&rls=com.microsoft&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIq9jSvYHjxgIVBQbbCh33zQcE&biw=1536&bih=794

P.S. A test for really old Lederhosen is: They are so hard and stand on its own.

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:38 pm

With a little grooming, Martyn could look like this. :D

Dave

Attachments
2380421_Oktoberfest-Lederhosen-Fashions-Men-Idea-Yellow.jpg

Return to “Wood”