netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Bamboo

Discussions, identification and analysis of the vast range of woods used in Netsuke
Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:59 am

Hi Klaus,

I believe that is a technique called togisukashi (?) - lacquer on woven ground substrate. A woven substrate (amidai) is coated with various coats of coloured lacquer and then polished back to a flat surface while partly revealing high points in the weave and some of the various coloured layers.

Did I pass the test and if so.. is there a prize? :D

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:10 am

Clive...if you kindly explain how the artist have achieved his very fine
decoration figures...

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:34 am

Ahh.. very interesting Luigi.

Although it gives an appearance of a design having been painted with lacquer onto Bamboo it's not.

I believe its made using a particular species of bamboo that has had a decorative design cut into its thick outer skin and then the parts not wanted (the background) skin peeled off revealing a different layer of bamboo below.. that which has the slightly darker orange fibrous structure seen in the pics. The technique essentially uses the fact that if correctly manipulated the skin of this bamboo will come away from the substrate material very smooth and evenly. The remaining skin areas (particularly on the rock area) is the given some additional shallow carving, not going all the way down to the "orange" layer to enrich the design.

Nice 8-)

mss

Postby mss » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:23 am

Both Tengu's and Luigi's pieces reflect wonderful technique and amazing creative expression.  Hard to imagine the effort involved crafting these works.

Jim_Lewis

Postby Jim_Lewis » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Bamboo "inro" (in bad condition; it has travelled through too many different climates in its lifetime).

Image Image
Attachments
2377639_BAMBO000.JPG
2377640_BAMBOO_S.JPG
Jim Lewis - western NC USA - I don't know if there are men on the moon, but if they are they must be using the earth as their lunatic asylum.  - G.B. Shaw

Tengu

Postby Tengu » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Clive wrote:Hi Klaus,

I believe that is a technique called togisukashi (?) - lacquer on woven ground substrate. A woven substrate (amidai) is coated with various coats of coloured lacquer and then polished back to a flat surface while partly revealing high points in the weave and some of the various coloured layers.

Did I pass the test and if so.. is there a prize? :D

Hi Clive

A shame you have failed the test. :D

Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Pedant!! :D I didn't mention the bamboo section or the metal rim because I thought they where obvious.. you're too hard Klaus. :D

Tengu

Postby Tengu » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:46 pm

Clive wrote:Pedant!! :D I didn't mention the bamboo section or the metal rim because I thought they where blinding obvious.. you're too hard Klaus. :D

A retired teacher can be given no leniency. Look again closely! Image

Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:09 pm

Swine!! :D:D Is one of the rims a slightly different silver alloy.. one shakodo the other Shibuichi.. One could just as easily be black horn. Sorry but it's impossible to ID every detail from those pics. I'm not playing anymore.. next you'll be saying I forgot what's inside the bloody thing. :D

Tengu

Postby Tengu » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:32 pm

It is not a true bamboo. It is a lacquer work, which simulated bamboo. Hashi-ichi made such things.

So that you're not angry, you get a small prize. e.g. a free beer.

Attachments
2377865_2222.jpg

Return to “Wood”